Comments needed ahead of first install on new HW

May 27, 2020
I will get the following hardware in day or two:
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SPL-F (https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X11SPL-F)
CPU: Intel Xeon Silver 4108 1.8GHz 8C/16T (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...silver-4108-processor-11m-cache-1-80-ghz.html)
RAM: 64 GB ECC RAM
2 SSDs: SAMSUNG PM883 series 480GB 25/S600
4 SATA Hard Disks: TOSHIBA MG06ACA600E 6TB 7200/256M/S600
Chasis: SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQC-600LPB 2U

The purpose of the build is to have virtualization platform with cca 10 virtual linux machines with quite large Oracle DB, MS SQL Server, Git server, Java development/deploy environments ... and everything is dedicated to software develpment and testing with small amount of daily changes.
At once only two or three virtual machines will operate, other will sleep.
Usualy I will be the only user, sometimes the development team of max 5 people will access i.e. database.
So, there will be no production environment and the server can be switched off for day or two for maintainance without problems.
And I'm not sys admin type and I don't want spent too much time administring the box.

The backup will go to attached Qnap NAS box.

My idea is to make one ZFS zpool from vdev consisting of two mirrored SSDs and put proxmox system on it.
And then make second ZFS zpool from two vdevs, each consisting of two mirrored hard disks

My questions:
1. Should I expect some major problem with the hardware configuration (i.e. need for some bios tweaking) when installing proxmox
2. Is my idea of disks configuration logical and simple enough or suggest something else (i.e. other raid level)
3. Is such configuration simple enough if one of disks in mirror fails and should be replaced or if restore is needed.

Pleas comment
Regards,
Sašo

1. Should I expect some major problem with the hardware configuration (i.e. need for some bios tweaking) when installing proxmox
When using ZFS make sure to nit use any kind of RAID controller (even not any with deactivated RAID mode).
2. Is my idea of disks configuration logical and simple enough or suggest something else (i.e. other raid level)
Sounds reasonable, however, if this matches your needs in all details cannot be said for sure from outside your projects.

3. Is such configuration simple enough if one of disks in mirror fails and should be replaced or if restore is needed.
Yes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!