Cluster Problem when using VLANs

JannikJung0

Jun 15, 2017
Hey all,

so I just setup my two node cluster and spun up a pfSense VM.
The pfSense VM has two virtual network adapters, one is untagged, the other one has a vlan 100 tag.

The cluster is working fine, until I start the pfSense VM. As soon as the vm uses the nic with the vlan tag 100, the other pve node turns red and states that it is not connected.

If I don't use any VLANs, the cluster keeps working, so I already was alble to narrow it down to the VLAN.
Of course I set the Flag, that the Host Network is Vlan aware.

Any idea how I can trace the problem further or even better, solve it altogether?

EDIT:
I can ping -f the other node without any problems, after starting the VM.
Are there any services which I should check and maybe restart?
I am using default Linux Bridges, not OVS.

EDIT2:
Alright, I did some further investigation and found out, that while both nodes are doing a tcp dump, the cluster is back up! So it seems, as soon as both interfaces are in promicious mode, the cluster starts working again.

Multicast seems to be working:
Code:
omping -c 10000 -i 0.001 -F -q pve0 pve1
Code:
pve1 :   unicast, xmt/rcv/%loss = 9464/9464/0%, min/avg/max/std-dev = 0.055/0.122/0.249/0.025
pve1 : multicast, xmt/rcv/%loss = 9464/9464/0%, min/avg/max/std-dev = 0.058/0.134/0.261/0.027

But I am still looking for a fix..

EDIT3:
Maybe it was indeed a Multicast Issue. I enabled "IGMP Querying" on my switch and for now the cluster is working. I will keep a look on it, but if anyone has had a similar issue, please let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!