Cluster between official iso inst and Debian Squeeze unofficial 32Bit installation

FelixJoussein

Jul 13, 2012
Hello Forum,

My plan was (is) to build a 3-node HA Cluster with PVE 2.1.
Therefor I have 2 rather strong AMD Machines for the data with a drbd shared volume group and a 3rd node low-cost Intel Atom PC, used for fencing and HA.
The 2 AMD machines where up and running within no time, everything works like a charm but I am having troubles installing the Intel Atom PC:
The Installer CD Image is not booting on the Atom machine, so I decided to go for the unofficial 32Bit squeeze setup, so that I have 3 machines running at lease the same OS Version. /etc/debian_version sais on all 3 machines 6.0.5.
The setup of the 32Bit squeeze did also work as described, and the 32bit Proxmox was up.
So next I addded the 3rd node to the cluster: pvecm add MY-CLUSTERIP

Here the trouble beginns:
It runns until it says the second time "waiting for quorum..." and there it stucks for ever.
After searching logfiles on the cluster-target (MY-CLUSTERIP) and on the potential cluster member I found out that:
regarding to corosync.log on the target, the adding process has been successfull, and "pvecm nodes" shows the new node as well as on the webinterface the new node is visible but "red".
On the potential cluster member I searched and found in the syslog an ongoing flood of "pvestatd[1550]: WARNING: ipcc_send_rec failed: Connection refused"
which will only stop, after I CTRL+C on the potential cluster member the "waiting for quorum..."
After that /dev/pve on the potential cluster member is gone and the only way to get it back is to delete the whole cluster stuff and reboot.
On the Cluster-Target I am able to "pvecm delnode" .

Regarding to what I found while googleing it might be a Problem with multicast?!?!?
How ever to make sure that the problem is not an issue between 32bit and 64bit machines I cloned the 32bit machine, changed the hostnames, created new ssh hostkeys and so on and tried to make a cluster out of the two 32bit machines.... unfortunatly exactly the same problemes here.

I would be very thankfull for either solutions:
Booting and installing with the genuen installer iso
or
fixing the problem I have!

Thank you for help,

many regards,

Felix Joussein

Re: Cluster between official iso inst and Debian Squeeze unofficial 32Bit installatio

We do not support 32 bit system.

Re: Cluster between official iso inst and Debian Squeeze unofficial 32Bit installatio

Thank you for your very brief answer.
I hope you did not miss the part where I wrote about the installer image, which does not boot on Intel Atom Platforms.
Seams to me, as the Kernel from the installer cd has no generic i386 cpu support or explicit specified the Intel Atom platforms in the Kernel config.

The 32bit solution was the 2nd-chioce plan which is not realizable as it's not working and unsupported...
So the first choice would deffenitly be to have a installer image that boots my Intel Atoms.
You see any chances to archive my goal to get Proxmox up and running on Atoms and or other, for virtualization unsuitable platforms?
Because even If those CPUs are slow and deffinitly not made for virtualization, they are good enaught for fencing a HA cluster.
Thank you for your effort to help me in that matter.
regards, Felix

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!