[SOLVED] cisco ucs c rack server compatibility

can I assume that proxmox uses the "base" kernel with some additional divers,settings,etc.. but not less ?

Yes, as Wolfgang mentioned there are some security/bug fixes on top which did not land in the upstream repository yet, but none of them should interfere with your hardware here.
So if iot is certified for the Ubuntu 4.4 Kernel then you chance is high that it runs with Proxmox VE too without a big hassle.

Hi, for what it is worth. I did a small proxmox on Cisco HW deploy a few years ago, everything was fine, except for the minor detail that the on-board LSI raid was the lowest-end-'nearly-but-not-quite-fakeraid' I have ever seen. The performance of IO was more or less horrible out of the box. I believe I was able to do some disk tune command tweaks that basically told the 'raid access' to adjust write through vs write back behaviour, and after that things were 'tolerable' but it was not great. So. I would guess that you may be well advised to confirm what your storage HBA / chipset is for disk connectivity, if you are using local storage for proxmox; as that is a highest risk of being a 'weak spot'. Otherwise - proxmox uses more or less stock debian linux under the hood, from which also ubuntu is derived; ie, it is very standards based and is more or less 'very compatible' with many hardware configs.

Tim

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!