Check real KVM Disk usage

This depends on the used storage system. If you use QCOW2 it works with qemu-img. With ZFS you can use simple zfs list, raw is always raw, so you have to look at the further underlying storage (e.g. lvm, lvm thin)

Reactions: matthew
Hello,

for me is very strange that QEMU Guest Agent witch is installed on KVM guest (Windows or Linux) doesn't show/transfer that information to Proxmox. In Summary tab of KVM we can see IP, CPU and Memory usage, but we dont see disk usage :(. Any feature request for that already?

Regards,

for me is very strange that QEMU Guest Agent witch is installed on KVM guest (Windows or Linux) doesn't show/transfer that information to Proxmox. In Summary tab of KVM we can see IP, CPU and Memory usage, but we dont see disk usage :(. Any feature request for that already?

Why is that information relevant? I can see why the used disk storage on the physical backend is nice to have (but only valid for some storage types), but the guest OS? You administrate VMs so the real space usage on your hypervisor-disks is essential, not what the guest thinks it actually sees.

Hello,

why???? All other virtualization providers for example Vmware has this possibility to view disk usage inside KVM. With Proxmox API you can see CPU usage, RAM usage, etc inside KVM but not disk usage. I work in a hosting provider company and for end user is very important to see disk usage inside KVM via Proxmox GUI or via user pages (using Proxmox API).

Regards,

I guess that would be a nice feature. But my hosting provider doesn't show usage inside the guest on the dashboard, only how much of allocated space is partitioned. But they also don't force me to have any particular software installed in the guest so there would be no way to reliably get that info for their setup.

why???? All other virtualization providers for example Vmware has this possibility to view disk usage inside KVM.

No they they have not. That all depends on the used guests. Neither VMware nor Hyper-V are capable of showing space in Linux guests correctly. I don't need a feature that is just wrong.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!