Changing IP address of node.

davlaw

Renowned Member
Apr 4, 2012
Rebuilding a cluster (3 nodes). Let the 3rd node just pull ip address via dhcp and installed, updated, rebooted.

I then logged into the node with the address it was given, 10.10.1.170, and put in group of numbers that other other nodes were located, 10.10.0.22.

Reboot was needed, logged into the node @ the new address, 10.10.0.22, all seems fine.

SSH into node and added it to cluster. So far ok.

But when I went to the management gui, all nodes appeared, but management of the 3rd node still wanted to use the old ip of 10.10.1.170 as it keep saying it could not connect to that ip (node was now 10.10.0.22)

Just FYI, I have reinstalled proxmox on the 3rd node with the ip I wanted. But it appears from the gui it cannot be changed properly/completely and reinstall was faster to correct the issue than waiting on fix. And I did'nt know exactly where to look in configs for the old ip address.

Rebuilding a cluster (3 nodes). Let the 3rd node just pull ip address via dhcp and installed, updated, rebooted.

I then logged into the node with the address it was given, 10.10.1.170, and put in group of numbers that other other nodes were located, 10.10.0.22.

You also changed /etc/hosts?

You also changed /etc/hosts?

nope, I poked around for about an hour last night. Guess I should have. I made an assumption that the gui would change whatever was needed.

It was quicker this morning to spend the 10 mins and reinstall since it had nothing on it yet.
I was just surprised that it allowed me to join the cluster as the new ip address.
pvecm even showed the new ip as well, "pvcem nodes" showed me all three nodes online. Just could not manage or migrate to the new node. GUI kept trying to use the old ip.

nope, I poked around for about an hour last night. Guess I should have. I made an assumption that the gui would change whatever was needed.

It was quicker this morning to spend the 10 mins and reinstall since it had nothing on it yet.
I was just surprised that it allowed me to join the cluster as the new ip address.
pvecm even showed the new ip as well, "pvcem nodes" showed me all three nodes online. Just could not manage or migrate to the new node. GUI kept trying to use the old ip.

Yes sir it does, I just reinstalled with the ip that I wanted it to be. I don't recall 1.9 having this behaviour, as I had moved between nets 10.10.1.0 and 10.10.0.0 before without issue.

No biggie, just FYI

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!