Changing cluster network used for communication? (without new IPs)

BobMccapherey

Apr 25, 2020
My datacenter recently suffered a catastrophic failure causing our private network to no longer be fully operational

I have a 4 node cluster with both public IPs, and a private network with private IPs. I also have Ceph running on all nodes. My cluster network and cluster/public network for Ceph are all configured to use the private network.

How much work is it to reconfigure the cluster to use only the public IPs to communicate? How easy is it to switch back once my private network is operational again? I was looking at the below link but don't think it's fully relevant to my use case.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/change-cluster-nodes-ip-addresses.33406/

I would think the thread that you mentioned, covers the process. Why do you think it's not fully relevant?

I'm not re-IP'ing the box. I'm actually trying to just tell it to use one of its different IP addresses for cluster communications. Also doesn't cover any changes I need to make to the Ceph nodes.

Point is moot now since my datacenter recovered the private network.

Okay. Ceph is configured through /etc/pve/ceph.conf

And how is re-IP'ing the server different from changing to another subnet for cluster communication? ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!