Change ZFS (Software RAID)

Iosif Bancioiu

Dec 3, 2018
Hi,

I am new when it comes to servers, virtualization and hardware allocation. When I installed Proxmox 6.1-8, I chose RAID 0 (Software), having 2 disks.

Now what I kind of want to do is to transform that RAID 0 into RAID 1, so switching.

Would that be possible?

I have to mention that I have 1 SSD of 500GB and 1HDD of 2 TB, currently used overall is less than 100 GB since I did not create yet all of my VMs, but reinstalling ProxMox would not be an option since it took me 5 days to do all the configs / setup for my hardware.

Thanks!

Br,
Iosif

Hi!

Are you aware that creating a mirror on two different size disks is not ideal?
Code:
➜  ~ zpool create -o ashift=12 tank mirror /dev/sdb /dev/sdd
invalid vdev specification
use '-f' to override the following errors:
mirror contains devices of different sizes
You can override that, but then you have only the smaller size available.

@Dominic

Hi,

Yes, I know it will reduce the available space.

How should I do with the command that you gave me.

1) Is there a way during the setup process to do that
2) If answer to 1 is no, then what setup should I have, ext4 only on the smaller disk and all the stuff should be installed there, then from Shell run the command to create the pool? Or should I have a RAID0 with only one disk and the run the command.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!