Change the Message Delivery Failure Message.

N

neddy

Hi there, is there any way to change the message delivery failure message that gets emailed out to the user, when a email can not be delivered.

At the moment, the user gets the following:

This is the Proxmox program at host mailgateway-03.flexi4site.net.

---------------------------------------

####################################################################
# THIS IS A WARNING ONLY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. #
####################################################################

Your message could not be delivered for 4.0 hours.
It will be retried until it is 5.0 days old.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Proxmox program

---------------------------------------

Firstly, is there any way to customize this message? And secondly, how can I remove the <postmaster> and replace it with a valid email address for users to respond to.

Cheers.

There is no way to customize that, but users can just reply to those mails (replies are redirected to the proxmox administrator)

Best Regards,

Dietmar

Ok, it looks very much like the Postfix Message that gets sent out, so i know there would be a way of changing it. even if it is to just remove the "<postmaster>" bit, and replace it with a valid email.

Can you tell me the location of the file that contains the message?

cheers.

Ok, it looks very much like the Postfix Message that gets sent out, so i know there would be a way of changing it. even if it is to just remove the "<postmaster>" bit, and replace it with a valid email.

Can you tell me the location of the file that contains the message?

You are right - this message is createt by the postfix program. Unfortunetly the message is not configurable, instead it is hardcoded into the source code (bounce_notify_util.c), so you cant change it (we use postfix version 2.2.8).

- Dietmar

You are right - this message is createt by the postfix program. Unfortunetly the message is not configurable, instead it is hardcoded into the source code (bounce_notify_util.c), so you cant change it (we use postfix version 2.2.8).

- Dietmar

Hi all, Still using Proxmox for spam filtering... after two years it hasn't had 1 minute of downtime... (yes no crashes or memory leaks... no reasons to reboot the server) overall I am very happy!

Just a quick one though..
Would it be possible to maybe change the '<postmaster>' tag in the delivery delay message to a meaningful email address.. even if it was just postmaster@<#serverhostname> This is the one thing users keep complaining to me about... and it would be be a bummer to have to re-compile postfix...

postfix 2.3.8 has support for customized bounce messages (man 5 bounce) - I guess we will support that in the next release - its already on the todo list.

- Dietmar

postfix 2.3.8 has support for customized bounce messages (man 5 bounce) - I guess we will support that in the next release - its already on the todo list.

- Dietmar

Great looking forward to it, keep up the good work guys!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!