Change PXE ROM

maaboo

Jan 25, 2016
Is it possible to replace iPXE with PXELinux (or something that works like usual hardware PXE)?

I already have PXE server that works perfectly and I don't want to change its configuration. But also I want to boot my VMs as physical machines.

Google for an hour but with no luck.

Hi maaboo,

what is the current iPXE lacking in your opinion? It works for me as good as hardware PXE on "real" machines - no difference.

But to your question:

Replace the corresponding file for your network adapter of choice:

Code:
root@proxmox ~ > dpkg -L pve-qemu-kvm | grep pxe
/usr/share/kvm/pxe-pcnet.rom
/usr/share/kvm/pxe-ne2k_pci.rom
/usr/share/kvm/pxe-virtio.rom
/usr/share/kvm/pxe-e1000.rom
/usr/share/kvm/pxe-rtl8139.rom
/usr/share/kvm/pxe-eepro100.rom

Please be aware that the files get overwritten on an update of pve-qemu-kvm.

There are none. The iPXE in Proxmox (KVM) works as is should be and PXELinux is started over the network as it is the case in the hardware pxeboot.

I used the location of the PXEi files to update the to their current GIT repository (a newer version), but there was an update from Proxmox a few weeks ago, so this is obsolete.

I'm not sure I understand what exactly should I do to make it works in the current state.

I have Windows Deployment Service with PXELinux bootloader. What next?

You still have not told us what exactly is not working.

I have also a running PXELinux bootloader and can install Linux and Windows via network.

Normally, a new VM does not have a working bootloader, so it'll skip to CD boot and then to network boot. This is the case for new KVM machines I create on my Proxmox installations, so "doing nothing besides power up" boot directly into network boot.

If you want to do it by hand, it's as simple as it is for regular hardware.
As shown on KVM startup, press F12 to get into boot menu, choose PXE boot and then everything works as it should be:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-27 um 19.31.26.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!