Change layout back to v3.x style?

Pegasus

Aug 29, 2013
California, USA
Is there any way to change the layout of the Web GUI back to the v3.x style with tabs across the top? I'm sure the new v4.x layout is nice for mobile devices but on desktop-size screens, it's just annoying since I have to scroll vertically when I have plenty of horizontal space that was quicker before.

Also, I know the flat design is all the rage right now but it's actually more difficult to tell at a glance what's an input field and what isn't. The v3.x design is better here as well. Can this be adjusted?

Hi
the vertical tab layout is not something we can easily configure one way or the other. Basic idea is each sub panel on the right is a sub element on the left this will allow us to have sub sub panels who appear on the right, and matches the current trend of 16:9 screens on the desktop ( ( other web panels like FreeNAS 10, took an approach similar approach to us)

concerning the flat design and the difficulty of recognizing what is an input field, could you post a screenshot where you thing it's unclear ? there is ongoing work to improve the usability of PVE (usually by providing ever more visual feedback on each user action)

I'd also really like the idea of a method to inject css to customise and make things clearer (input field problems of @Pegasus) such that one could tweak things with CSS e.g. in /etc/pve/overrides.css or something like that and the file should not be part of the Proxmox VE packages and should not get overwritten on upgrades.

concerning the flat design and the difficulty of recognizing what is an input field, could you post a screenshot where you thing it's unclear?
It's not so much that it's unclear, it's just not as easy to tell at a quick glance because the contrast between background and input field is reduced or eliminated. (I have this complaint with all flat style GUIs, not just Proxmox.) Take the logon modal for example. In 3.x, the input fields are white while the background is blue, making it immediately clear where I can enter information. In 4.x the background is also white and the only thing delineating a field is a thin light gray border. Changing the background of dialog boxes to something other than the field background color would solve this.

The bigger issue for me is the change of orientation of the tabs from horizontal to vertical. I understand the benefit of sub-sub panels, and that is a win, but I'm finding it frustrating to have to scroll vertically to see all the options when they all fit horizontally, and the fact that the vertically-oriented panel eats up more horizontal space from the main pane, leaving less room for details. (If I could shrink the font to 3.x size, that would help.)

I dunno, I have yet to upgrade most of my 3.x servers to 4.x so maybe it'll grow on me. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!