Change host node ip address

drott

Apr 18, 2012
USA
Hello, been looking on thr forum and really do not see a clear answer.

I have a client moving their physical servers to a new hosting facility and carrier. How do I change the ip address, subnett, defualt gateway and dns. I know about resolve.conf.

In esx. i just go from the console and change everything and then vsphere can connect.

in theory, i would like to have new ip address and old on thebox before it moves. They are moving to a facility with a dedicated 400 meg pipe. sort of jealous.

the vms will be turned off and know that i will have to change their information.

thanks in advance.

Hello, been looking on thr forum and really do not see a clear answer.

I have a client moving their physical servers to a new hosting facility and carrier. How do I change the ip address, subnett, defualt gateway and dns. I know about resolve.conf.
There is a wiki page with setting up networking in Proxmox:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model

Configuring networking in Proxmox is done the same way as with most Linux distros.
You can make changes to /etc/network/interfaces as needed.

In esx. i just go from the console and change everything and then vsphere can connect.
Similarly, once you have console access to Proxmox node you can login and make changes via command line interface .

in theory, i would like to have new ip address and old on thebox before it moves. They are moving to a facility with a dedicated 400 meg pipe. sort of jealous.
You cannot have two active network configs for same ethernet interface. Well, not without aliases... but then I don't know how Proxmox would handle an alias because the default bridge config would have to be updated too.

Your two choices:

1) Make changes in the Network tab in web interface before turning off and shipping servers. These changes will be made upon boot up. Old values will be gone.

2) Add the necessary changes to /etc/network/interfaces but comment them out for now. Once at the new location, comment out old settings (or remove them). Uncomment new settings. Restart networking or reboot machine.

Since you have multiple machines. Are they in a Proxmox cluster? If so, the cluster may have to be re-created due to changes in IPs.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!