[SOLVED] Change HELO-fqdn independently from server hostname

May 30, 2018
Hello all together.

I tried to change the helo-fqdn that the PMG sends to other mailservers on outgoing mails independently from the server hostname. The background is that this PMG server is an internal server with a private IP-address and only the incoming port 25 redirected to it from outside.

Is there an option to configure this helo-fqdn independently from the servers hostname because some mailservers do lookups on the fqdn sent in the helo command?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
if you use exim, maybe you can modify the file /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template

I think you can modify this

# In a minimaldns setup, update-exim4.conf guesses the hostname and
# dumps it here to avoid DNS lookups being done at Exim run time.
.ifdef MAIN_HARDCODE_PRIMARY_HOSTNAME
primary_hostname = MAIN_HARDCODE_PRIMARY_HOSTNAME
.endif

and change le primary_hostname.

Hello all together.

I tried to change the helo-fqdn that the PMG sends to other mailservers on outgoing mails independently from the server hostname. The background is that this PMG server is an internal server with a private IP-address and only the incoming port 25 redirected to it from outside.

Is there an option to configure this helo-fqdn independently from the servers hostname because some mailservers do lookups on the fqdn sent in the helo command?

Thanks in anvance!
Hi,
PMG?? I think you post in the wrong forum?

PVE use postfix, not exim (I assume PMG too), so you can configure there a lot!

Udo

Reactions: Jesco C.
I'm sorry you're right... Wrong forum...
I will open an other thread in the right forum and post a link here.

Edit: Just saw that the thread was already moved.

You need to copy templates as in admin guide to /etc/pmg/templates and then can adjust main.cf.in to set your own servername, which then been used on HELO. Then sync the templates and you‘re done.

smtp_helo_name is what you‘re searching for.

Reactions: Jesco C.
You need to copy templates as in admin guide to /etc/pmg/templates and then can adjust main.cf.in to set your own servername, which then been used on HELO. Then sync the templates and you‘re done.

smtp_helo_name is what you‘re searching for.

Thank you very much for your reply!

That actually was the solution. I searched the Configuration Manual for a solution but not the Admin Manual.
Now all is working fine and the Proxmox Mail Gateway sends the spcified HELO-fqdn instead of its own internal hostname.

Reactions: mdo
Hi,
I have the same problem and i have write this in the /etc/pmg/main.conf.in . but is always wrong in the smtp output.
220 pmg01.xxx.local mx.mydomain.de
I would like only mx.mydomain.de in this output.

Im sorry vor my bad english! ;-)

Thomas

Hi,

thanks!
I´ve found this thread and don´t want a new one open.
I am not sync the settings, becouse i dont know the way for this....
but i am reboot..

Regards,
Thomas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!