Mihai

Renowned Member
Dec 22, 2015
This is on a 3 node cluster.

The versions:

Proxmox Kernel Version
Linux 4.13.13-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.13.13-31
Ceph: 12.2.2

Successfully created a cephfs as far as I can tell.
Ccephx is disabled. Though I did create the cephfs while the cluster still had cephx enabled, and I disabled it shortly after.

Cephfs: cephfs-1/1/1 up {0=cephfs=up:active}

I'm using commands:

mount -t ceph 10.10.0.14:6789,10.10.0.13:6789,10.10.0.16:6789:/ /mnt/cephfs

Also tried one monitor only:

mount -t ceph 10.10.0.16:6789:/ /mnt/cephfs

Also tried mounting with fstab.

The fuse-client gives me no feedback when mounting, seems stuck at starting ceph client? Just in case I was missing something, I did start the ceph-fuse client on two hosts and tried to create a file in the directory, but it did not show up on the other host, so I figure it's not working either.

What I see in /var/log/syslog is this:

libceph: mon2 10.10.0.14:6789 socket closed (con state CONNECTING)
libceph: mon1 10.10.0.13:6789 socket closed (con state CONNECTING)
libceph: mon0 10.10.0.16:6789 socket error on write

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Did you create all the needed pools?

It is not recommended to disable cephx, as now anyone with access to the ceph network has access to your data.

Yes, I have created a cepfs_data and cepfs_metadata pool and a ceph filesystem on top of that.

For the fuse client you need to copy the ceph.conf file to the clients and put it in the correct folder.

From what I've read using kernel mounting for a CephFS on a server that is running the Ceph services is problematic at best. So probably best to avoid that.
Mounting CephFS using fuse on the same server shouldn't be a problem and in that case ceph.conf is already in place.
Mounting CephFS using fuse on a separate client, this includes VM's, I needed to copy the ceph.conf from Proxmox to the client for it to work.

Last edited:
Ahhh made such a dumb mistake. I was pointing to the Proxmox network, not ceph network address!!!!

Freaking embarrassing.

From what I've read using kernel mounting for a CephFS on a server that is running the Ceph services is problematic at best. So probably best to avoid that.
Mounting CephFS using fuse on the same server shouldn't be a problem and in that case ceph.conf is already in place.
Mounting CephFS using fuse on a separate client, this includes VM's, I needed to copy the ceph.conf from Proxmox to the client for it to work.

You are correct, I just ran into that problem.

Proxmox will FAIL to boot if you try and mount cephfs through fstab on the same server running the services.

I suspect it has to do with the fact that ceph tries to mount prior to ceph services running.

I got around that by mounting the cephfs through a script including a 60 second delay and triggered by an init file at boot.

Though thinking about it now, I really do not need to mount this on the hosts, so to avoid any further problems I should just disable it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!