CEPH Update

Ashley

Jun 28, 2016
Hello,

As there is not a general "Promox" forum I posted this here, hopefully correct place.

I know on the road-map it states "update Ceph Server to next LTS (Jewel, including new GUI)", do we have a timeline for this, Hammer is expected to be EOL by next month, and Jewel contains some nice bug fixes and enhancements around Cache Tiering.

Fully understand the reason Proxmox keeps on the current LTS due to stability, and I prefer software that sticks this way instead of always trying bleeding edge, however Jewel has now been out for a while and with EOL coming would be nice to know if we can expect an update before this date.

Thanks,
Ashley

Hi,

Jewell will come when the Debian packet are fixed and work proper with proxmox.
But i think it will work before Hammer comes to EOL.

Hi,

Jewell will come when the Debian packet are fixed and work proper with proxmox.
But i think it will work before Hammer comes to EOL.

Thanks for your response, answer I was looking for and good to know its been monitored / looked at!

Thanks again,
Ashley

if there are no new issues, it should not take too long after upstream does their release (which should happen soon).

Wasn't jewel (stable) released in April, 2016?

yes, but all jewel releases so far were affected by a bug that prevents upgrades on PVE. 10.2.4 has the fix, but hasn't been released yet (this has been discussed multiple times in the forum already...)

Reactions: grin
yes, but all jewel releases so far were affected by a bug that prevents upgrades on PVE. 10.2.4 has the fix, but hasn't been released yet
Great.

(this has been discussed multiple times in the forum already...)
If it was I wasn't able to spot it by mere searching. Doesn't really matter, though, I'm sure you know what you mean, so we expect to get jewel in PVE soon after 10.2.4 is out, if I understand correctly.

We should probably think about some system which tracks important, recurring topics in another medium. Might be sufficient to just pick some links from the forum and add it to the Roadmap Wiki page. Some of us (like me) are very active in the forums and know such things, but most users aren't. Also not everybody is following the mailing lists, which I totally understand ;)

Reactions: gkovacs and grin
Hi,
good news: jewel 10.2.4 is out (appears just on the mailing list).

Udo

Just upgraded a proxmox test cluster with last jewel, it's works fine.

(read the ceph.com doc about upgrade, because services are running as ceph user now, so a manual chown is needed on /var/lib/ceph)

10.2.5 is released...
and it seems to work well....

Greetings

Markus
Hi,
I have also updated one cluster. Works, until I use "ceph osd crush tunables optimal", which produce a lot of data movement and all VMs must be killed and started again*...

*(an live migration before change the tunables should prevent this)

After this hickup the ceph-cluster work well.
Only the ceph-dash box with hammer-libraries can't now connect to the cluster... building an jewel-one now.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!