Ceph unable to delete multiple VM disks at a time

alext

Sep 14, 2018
Newmarket, UK
www.abct.net
Hi guys,

I've got a 3-cluster Proxmox system with Ceph (...and loving it!)
When I delete multiple VM's in quick succession, the first VM's disk gets deleted (takes a few minutes), but the other VM's give the following error message about 20 times while the first one is being deleted.

"trying to acquire cfs lock 'storage-ceph1' ..."

After trying, it then gives up with the following message:
"error with cfs lock 'storage-ceph1': got lock request timeout"

I've been able to delete the disk files manually using the rbd commands, but do you know if this is a limitation of the Prox/Ceph system (i.e. you can only delete one VM at a time), or am I doing something wrong?

Running Proxmox 5.2-8 with Ceph 12.2.8 but I've seen the problem for the last couple of months.

Thanks!

Alex

Hey Alwin,

Thanks for confirming.
Would indeed be good to have some sort of check beforehand that then doesn't allow a second VM to be deleted (or places it in a queue) while the other one is removed - to avoid the VM being deleted but not the disk.

Would indeed be good to have some sort of check beforehand that then doesn't allow a second VM to be deleted
The lock does that already, doesn't it? ;)

The disk deletion is now done with the command line tool and that doesn't return till the disk has been deleted. There are thoughts on changing this, but AFAIK no work has been done yet. You may open up a feature request in our bug tracker to have it written. https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

:) Well, yeah, it stops the disk being deleted, but it doesn't stop the VM from being deleted. The VM does get removed, even though the disk isn't. Not a dangerous scenario, but does mean that the disk can fill up with unused objects which cannot be deleted from the GUI.

Yeah, will create a feature request, thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!