ceph qestion, sas3 and nvme on separate bucket

ilia987

Sep 9, 2019
currently i have one ceph poll consists of mix of sas3 ssds , (different models and sizes , but all in the same performance category )

i thinking of creating another bucket (i dont know if bucket is the right name for what i want to do )
currently we have the default (consists of sas3 ssds)
Screenshot from 2020-09-03 10-25-39.png

but i would like to add another pack of nvme ssds separated from the existing pool . the pool above is mainly read intensive, and the planed one for write intensive

can i do it on existing (running) pool ?
Yes.
from the documentation said:
If the pool already contains objects, all of these have to be moved accordingly. Depending on your setup this may introduce a big performance hit on your cluster. As an alternative, you can create a new pool and move disks separately.

the pool is very fast (based on high end sas ssds and 40gb network) so a dont think we will have such a big performance hit. worst case the storage will be down for 10 hours (we can do it over night)

currently there are only sas ssds (nvme are not yet connected) will i still have the effect?
can you guide me of the commands needed to do it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!