Ceph or Gluster ?

yakakliker

Renowned Member
May 19, 2011
France
New question ...:rolleyes:

I am looking for the "perfect solution" :cool: (Yes Santa Claus exist ...)

After looking NAS/SAN soluces, i am studiing distributed file system (Ceph & Gluster).

So my question :

What system do you prefer with Proxmox and why ? ... if I can ask ... :rolleyes:

ceph is already implemented and best tested (gluster support is still in planning status)

if you store your VM images on ceph, also live snapshots, live backups, templates and cloning will work in near future.

ceph is already implemented and best tested (gluster support is still in planning status)

if you store your VM images on ceph, also live snapshots, live backups, templates and cloning will work in near future.

Thanks for answer.

You are right and on my tests, Ceph is relatively simple to install & configure (i have to test more).

Ceph is apparently very used with Openstack but Gluster was acquired by Red Hat and is older than Ceph (less bugs ??? more perfs ???).

So the choice is not simple ...

from my test, glusterfs was slower.

But next version (3.4), not yet released, will have a native qemu integration (no fuse), so maybe it'll be faster.

I"ll try to make a proxmox storage plugin when 3.4 will be released.

also rbd have some advantages (snapshots,clones,....)

also rbd have some advantages (snapshots,clones,....)

Even with Gluster support in Qemu, aren't they qcow2 images that are stored on the FS ?
If so, couldn't Gluster storage benefit from these formats capabilities ?

Bests

Even with Gluster support in Qemu, aren't they qcow2 images that are stored on the FS ?
If so, couldn't Gluster storage benefit from these formats capabilities ?

Bests

The qemu gluster plugin (not yet included in proxmox) use gluster as a block storage. (without use fuse).
So no file like raw,qcow2,....

But seem that snapshot is maybe possible, I don't have read to much the documentation , as we need to wait for gluster 3.4 release.

I'll try to make a plugin for proxmox when gluster 3.4 will be released.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!