Ceph Journal on SSD

breakaway9000

Renowned Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi All,

I've got 3 servers each with 4 x 4 TB disks and a 500 GB NVMe SSD which I'm wanting to use as a journal for each of the disks. I've created 5 x partitions on my SSD, the first partitions being 2GB each (one per 3TB disk) and with the remaining space I've made 1 partition which I'll use for other stuff.

When I go to create OSDs from the Proxmox WebGUI, it doesn't show any options to use these partitions as journal disks - the only options in the webGUI is to use an entire disk as journal which I don't want to do since it's quite wasteful.

What is the supported & recommended way to setup OSDs with partition-based journals for proxmox?

Your need to express these as separate disks, you may be able to do that depending on how the NVMe is attached.

Also the default Journal size is 5GB so you would need to have the size minimum to that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!