Ceph-iscsi howto ?

Gerhard W. Recher

Mar 10, 2017
Munich
Thank you Fabian,

any plans to merge this ?
or any other way with proxmox to accomplish the task ?

Thank you Fabian,

any plans to merge this ?
or any other way with proxmox to accomplish the task ?

there is no upstream support for Debian based distros (yet), so there is nothing to merge. I also don't really see a use case for PVE here.. you can already access Ceph storage clusters without another layer of iSCSI complexity inbetween..

we need this for some existing vm-ware servers, as long as they are alive we like to have a rbd-iscsi gateway, to shutdown a old san ....

has anyone installed userland tgt ? to provide a rbd-iscsi multipath solution ?

Just installed tgt
Code:
dpkg --list tgt*
||/ Name                           Version              Architecture         Description
+++-==============================-====================-====================-==================================================================
ii  tgt                            1:1.0.69-1           amd64                Linux SCSI target user-space daemon and tools
un  tgt-glusterfs                  <none>               <none>               (no description available)
ii  tgt-rbd                        1:1.0.69-1           amd64                Linux SCSI target user-space daemon and tools - RBD support
Code:
 tgt-admin -s
Target 1: iqn.2017-12.rbdstore.net4sec.com:iscsi
    System information:
        Driver: iscsi
        State: ready
    I_T nexus information:
        I_T nexus: 1
            Initiator: iqn.1991-05.com.microsoft:wsus.net4sec.com alias: none
            Connection: 1
                IP Address: 192.168.221.124
    LUN information:
        LUN: 0
            Type: controller
            SCSI ID: IET     00010000
            SCSI SN: beaf10
            Size: 0 MB, Block size: 1
            Online: Yes
            Removable media: No
            Prevent removal: No
            Readonly: No
            SWP: No
            Thin-provisioning: No
            Backing store type: null
            Backing store path: None
            Backing store flags:
        LUN: 1
            Type: disk
            SCSI ID: IET     00010001
            SCSI SN: beaf11
            Size: 10737 MB, Block size: 512
            Online: Yes
            Removable media: No
            Prevent removal: No
            Readonly: No
            SWP: No
            Thin-provisioning: No
            Backing store type: rbd
            Backing store path: vmpool/iscsi-rbd
            Backing store flags:
    Account information:
    ACL information:
and made a short test with our 2016 Windows Server, performance is poor, almost setting tgt nr-treads 128

see screenshot, left drive r: is tgt target right ist t: virtio drive direct on rbd pool ....

any hints how to speed up things ?

Attachments

• iscsi-versus-virtio.png
    iscsi-versus-virtio.png
    245.2 KB · Views: 97
To anyone interested I've built a kernel with ceph-iscsi support and am now in the process of building the userland tools. Will post howto when everything is running smoothly.

Reactions: codingspiderfox
To anyone interested I've built a kernel with ceph-iscsi support and am now in the process of building the userland tools. Will post howto when everything is running smoothly.

Hi, did you have time to write the howto ? I'm lookin to packaking tools for debian. (I have a customer with a vmware cluster, looking to add ceph iscsi gateway, and currents packages are for redhat only. I'm looking for tcmu-runner,ceph-iscsi-config,ceph-iscsi-cli)

Reactions: codingspiderfox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!