CEPH cluster hangs. PLEASE HELP! URGENTLY!

albert_a

Mar 22, 2018
Hello, everybody!

Serious trouble.

`ceph status` hangs, every ceph command hangs!

PVE shows "got timeout"

reinstalled the node, tried to join the node just by copying keys, but could not create monitor (error: monitor existed), then I removed the monitor from monmap, and that's it all cluster hanged

I played around with the following commands:
Code:
# modified monmap
ceph-mon -i <NODE> --extract-monmap /tmp/monmap
monmaptool --print /tmp/monmap
monmaptool --rm mon.<NODE> /tmp/monmap
monmaptool --add mon.<NODE> <NODE_IP>:6789 /tmp/monmap
monmaptool --print /tmp/monmap
ceph-mon -i <NODE> --inject-monmap /tmp/monmap

# restarted the monitor, checked status, and ran it manually
systemctl restart ceph-mon@<NODE>
systemctl status ceph-mon@<NODE>
ceph-mon -f --cluster ceph --id ap2 --setuser ceph --setgroup ceph

# fixed the permissions (which were chnged by some of above commands):
chown ceph:ceph -R /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-<NODE>/store.db

I tried to make adequate monmap on all the nodes restarted monitors several times and some of the manipulations worked.

So things work now?

@Alwin Yes, it works now, thanks! But I'm afraid some inconsistencies might remain... So just to be sure, I will recreate cluster node by node, while simultaneously copying data from the shrinking old ceph cluster to a growing new one.

By the way, is there any way to do it as I wanted initially?
I mean reinstalling system on all the nodes in a cluster (for example for security reasons) but keeping ceph data, keeping ceph cluster intact
Is it possible?

You can re-install nodes, but they need to be removed from the Ceph & Corosync cluster first.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!