Ceph and Monitors and Managers

sahostking

Renowned Member
Hi guys

For now we have been creating a monitor on every server we setup. Not sure why we just have :)

Now lets say we have a 11 node cluster with a monitor on each - do you think that's overkill.
Also on a 4 node ceph cluster which we also have setup do you think 2 monitors would suffice as I see ceph recommends 3?

I assume each install of monitor for ceph we are wasting memory and storage space? Is this correct?

Lastly I assume we should have at least 2 Managers on the 4 node and 11 node clusters for Ceph. In otherwords the 11 node cluster does not need more than 2 right? Both clusters having 2 should suffice?

Thoughts? Still wrapping my head around this.

Thanks

Last edited:
The maximum I have ever heard being mentioned is 7 monitors, the reason of not being higher than that was with the update speed might slow down or in rare cases corrupt the small monitor db..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!