Capture packets with VLAN tag (Virtio / E1000 / VMXNET3) on Windows box

belette

Oct 20, 2014
Hi,

My Proxmox is set with OVS with a port mirroring configured to send traffic to a Windows VM where I have installed my analysis product.
I am unable to see the VLAN tag.
To double check, I change my NIC driver to the old RTL8139 and now I am able to see the VLAN (but it is not a good solution as the drivers is very old and have a lot of limitation + it is fast ethernet).

I have tried to play with some tricks by Intel for E1000 but impossible to make it works.

Anyone has successfully captured packet with VLAN tag with VMXNET3 on a Windows box?

Update :
For VitrIO, it just needs to disable 'Priority and VLAN tagging' on the NIC Properties to make it work.
I tried to do the same for VMXNET3 (+ playing with some offload options) but the problem remains the same..
I would prefer to use this card on this VM for some inter-compatibility issue.

Many thanks for your help :)

belette

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!