D.P.

May 13, 2016
Hi!
I have Proxmox 4.2 cluster configured (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_4.x_Cluster) with ceph storage (http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Server#Ceph_Pools).
Proxmox version is
root@prox1:/etc/pve# pveversion
pve-manager/4.2-4/2660193c (running kernel: 4.4.8-1-pve)
without subscriptions.

Cephs storage is configured as:
rbd: cephpool
monhost 192.168.168.10;192.168.168.11;192.168.168.12
pool cephpool
krbd
username admin
content rootdir,images
I can see ceph's storage information on tab "Summary".
I can't upload any content to this storage because buttons "Templates" and "Upload' are inactive (grey).
I can't create container on this storage.
How to fix this problem?

Cephs storage is configured as:
content rootdir,images
I can't upload any content to this storage because buttons "Templates" and "Upload' are inactive (grey).

It is right. CEPH-storage in Proxmox - Block Device (rbd) - not File sysytem. Is used for KVM disk images and Сontainers only.

I can't create container on this storage.
How to fix this problem?

And it is very strange...
In console: ceph health detail
and post here...

Last edited:
root@prox1:/etc/pve# ceph health detail
HEALTH_OK

Do you know: it is possible to create shared filesystem for proxmox nodes from ceph's block device?

do you use hammer or jewel? jewel is not yet recommended, still some small issues (e.g. with containers, krbd)

Do you know: it is possible to create shared filesystem for proxmox nodes from ceph's block device?

For example You may create VM with nfs-server on ceph storage and add it to cluster as storage.

pic.png

--
Best regards,
Gosha

For example You may create VM with nfs-server on ceph storage and add it to cluster as storage.

I like this idea but I can't create VM on cep storage, see below:

Attachments

• ceph2.png
    ceph2.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 72
do you use hammer or jewel? jewel is not yet recommended, still some small issues (e.g. with containers, krbd)

I think I have Ceph hammer version:
root@prox1:/etc/pve# ceph --version
ceph version 0.94.7 (d56bdf93ced6b80b07397d57e3fa68fe68304432)

I like this idea but I can't create VM on cep storage, see below:

Opps! Select on your picture - is not storage for VM-disk. This select for iso and ct-templates storage (for install vm's OS).
On the next tab (Hard disk), You can select storage for VM-disk. :)

pic2.png

I only have two nodes, but the op seems to use three nodes exactly as the guide suggests. My "upload" button is also grayed out and I can't use the ceph storage for backups.

ceph-storage is not filesystem, ceph-storage - block device for vm- or ct-disk only :)
Backups can be placed on the file system only. NFS for example.

Well, that explains it. Thanks gosha! I was just wondering why the ceph-pool didn't show up as mounted either in the system.
I guess I have to rethink how to share snapshots and backups between the nodes.

Yeah! it works as a hard disk for VM and CT
Thanks a lot gosha.

Last edited:
I have to rethink how to share snapshots and backups between the nodes.

The easiest way - to create a VM (nfs server) on ceph and share created nfs-storage in your cluster for backups.
But the more correct way - to place storage for backups not in this cluster.
For example in another cluster - like I did.

Reactions: D.P.
Thanks a lot gosha!

What I did for now was to install nfs-kernel-server and share my zfs backup pool (on both servers). Then I added the two nfs-shares to the cluster so I can make backups and restores between the hosts and move vm's.

I agree that backups should be saved elsewhere. I even prefer to pull the backups from the backup server for a evil-worst-case scenario where the cluster was compromised. Call me paranoid..

I even prefer to pull the backups from the backup server for a evil-worst-case scenario where the cluster was compromised. Call me paranoid..

No. You're not paranoid. This is a very reasonable choice!
I was in a situation where the server-room was flooded with water. All servers died!
:(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!