[SOLVED] Can't see snapshots in web console

Tmanok

Hi All,

When I click on a VM and then go to "Snapshots", I can click on the "Take Snapshot" button and a prompt appears asking if I want to include RAM, add a title and give it a description. After click "Take Snapshot" [Blue within prompt] it shows a progress bar that fills multiple times and then outputs "OK" in VM Snapshot task below in the Task Log.

The issue is that after a "Successful snapshot", I still cannot see any snapshots, the only one that appears is "NOW". How can I further look into this issue to see why it might be failing without outputting an error?

Proxmox Version: 5.4-13 fully apt updated and apt upgraded. Storage is NFS. VM size is less than 20GB not that it should matter...
Tmanok

Hi,
could you share the config of your VM? Is there an entry snapshot VM <id>: <snapname> in the cluster log (bottom panel in GUI, besides task log)? Was the machine running when you tried to take the snapshot?

Update! The Snapshot is now visible without rebooting the hypervisor, I simply left it alone for a few hours! Some notes on the problem about other troubleshooting I did can be read at the bottom of this post.

In my cluster log I also see a successful log output, I'll retype it below:

Code:
starting task UPID:hostname:Numbers&Letters:Numbers&Letters:Numbers&Letters:qmsnapshot:124:root@pam:
snapshot VM 124: PostPythonInstall_March23_2020
end task UPID:hostname:Numbers&Letters:Numbers&Letters:Numbers&Letters:qmsnapshot:124:root@pam:
I mean it looks fine to me. I've removed the random crap to make it more readable hopefully.

By "VM Config" I'm assuming you mean qm.conf (/etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf), correct me if I'm wrong.
VM Config:
Code:
agent: 1
balloon: 1024
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 2
ide2: local:iso/debian-10.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
name: Scrapifier
net0: virtio=2A:38:55:DF:89:75,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1
numa: 1
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
parent: PostPythonInstall_March23_2020
scsi0: Servers:124/vm-124-disk-0.qcow2,discard=on,size=250G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=40e42efd-3bf9-49f3-8fc4-ad3a0a6e1bce
sockets: 2
vmgenid: 8e1fddd3-7a07-424b-8cb5-5ff77e2d32a5

[PostPythonInstall_March23_2020]
#Post Python Install March 23rd, 2020.
agent: 1
balloon: 1024
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 2
ide2: local:iso/debian-10.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
name: Scrapifier
net0: virtio=2A:38:55:DF:89:75,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1
numa: 1
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
runningmachine: pc-i440fx-3.0
scsi0: Servers:124/vm-124-disk-0.qcow2,discard=on,size=250G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=40e42efd-3bf9-49f3-8fc4-ad3a0a6e1bce
snaptime: 1585026940
sockets: 2
vmgenid: 8e1fddd3-7a07-424b-8cb5-5ff77e2d32a5
vmstate: Servers:124/vm-124-state-PostPythonInstall_March23_2020.raw

Oh neat I think I spy the snapshot! Hmm so why wouldn't it be visible in the web interface? - NVM I just rechecked it and the snapshot is now in the web interface.

Troubleshooting:

Since creating this post, I've also tried using another web browser, using another workstation OS, purging anything out of my original browser and considered the following:
  1. Rebooting the server (unfavourable)
  2. Restarting the web interface (pvedaemon)
  3. Testing snapshots on other VM's.
  4. Asking for guidance in the proxmox forum (done).

Glad that the snapshot appeared. If this happens again in the future, you can use
Code:
qemu-img info <path/to/disk>
pvesh get /nodes/<NODENAME>/qemu/<VMID>/snapshot
to check whether the snapshot is already there or just not appearing in the web interface. The first will should show you the list of snapshots on the qcow2 image, the second will show you the list of snapshots PVE knows about.

Reactions: Tmanok
Hello, I hope to contribute with my solution. to solve this problem I had to remove the entire list of snapshots from cd /etc/pve/lxc and manually remove the parent: parameter from my <CT>.conf

Para os BR como eu:
Olá, espero contribuir com minha solução. para resolver esse problema eu tive que remover toda a lista de snapshots de cd /etc/pve/lxc e remover manualmente o parametro parent: do meu <CT>.conf

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!