[SOLVED] Can't run Jenkins on LXC container

martin sarsale

Jan 5, 2017
Hello :)
I'm a happy user of Proxmox and I upgraded today to v4; so I had to migrate my openvz containers to LXC.

One of them, used to run Jenkins and it's not running anymore. The stacktrace is;

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-i386/jre/lib/i386/headless/libmawt.so: libkrb5support.so.0: failed to map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary1(ClassLoader.java:1965)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1890)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1851)
at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:795)
at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1062)
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary1(ClassLoader.java:1965)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1890)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1872)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:849)

When I straced Jenkins, I found this is the problem:

open("/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libkrb5support.so.0", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 145
read(145, "\177ELF\1\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0\3\0\1\0\0\0p\27\0\0004\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512
fstat64(145, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=30320, ...}) = 0
mmap2(NULL, 33116, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_DENYWRITE, 145, 0) = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)

The mmap2 man page says this error is because:
EPERM
The prot argument asks for PROT_EXEC but the mapped area belongs to a file on a file system that was mounted no-exec.

But my root filesystem do not seem to be mounted noexec:

/dev/loop0 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

I suspect there's something weird going with LXC but I've run out of ideas.. hints?

I ended up moving to LXC+chroot instead of loop image.
This fixed the permission denied error and yields much better performance (because of io)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!