Can't ping host from proxmox or any vm's

zack3334

Dec 22, 2020
Hey all,

So I was trying to add an smb share to windows using an Ubuntu server 20.04 vm and noticed I can ping the gateway, the dns but can't ping the client IP it just hangs, but I can ping proxmox's IP from the windows client as well as the vm IP I'm assuming it's related to why I can't map a network drive to the client. I also can't ping the client IP from proxmox itself. the share is wide open, permissions are configured properly on the UBuntu side.

After running windows troubleshooting I get the following errors "access Denied "
and "Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource *IP* is not responding'

Any ideas?

Hey all,

So I was trying to add an smb share to windows using an Ubuntu server 20.04 vm and noticed I can ping the gateway, the dns but can't ping the client IP it just hangs, but I can ping proxmox's IP from the windows client as well as the vm IP I'm assuming it's related to why I can't map a network drive to the client. I also can't ping the client IP from proxmox itself. the share is wide open, permissions are configured properly on the UBuntu side.

After running windows troubleshooting I get the following errors "access Denied "
and "Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource *IP* is not responding'

Any ideas?
Give us more details about network configuration. PVE network config /etc/network/interfaces.
Windows is not VM? How is Win PC connected with ProxMox?

Give us more details about network configuration. PVE network config /etc/network/interfaces.
Windows is not VM? How is Win PC connected with ProxMox?
They're on the same LAN it's just a small homelab in my house, and the client is my windows laptop, proxmox /etc/network/interfaces listed below
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet manual

auto eno2
iface eno2 inet manual

auto ens11f0
iface ens11f0 inet manual

auto ens11f1
iface ens11f1 inet manual

auto enp7s0f0
iface enp7s0f0 inet manual

auto enp7s0f1
iface enp7s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.2.100/24
        gateway 192.168.2.1
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

They're on the same LAN it's just a small homelab in my house, and the client is my windows laptop, proxmox /etc/network/interfaces listed below
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet manual

auto eno2
iface eno2 inet manual

auto ens11f0
iface ens11f0 inet manual

auto ens11f1
iface ens11f1 inet manual

auto enp7s0f0
iface enp7s0f0 inet manual

auto enp7s0f1
iface enp7s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.2.100/24
        gateway 192.168.2.1
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
Do you enable firewall on Ubuntu VM network card? Can you ping Win PC from Ubuntu VM?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!