[SOLVED] Can't install proxmox with "AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega"

BigOx

Jul 12, 2018
Hi guys,

i just finished building a fresh pc system (mini-ITX) to use it as a small linux server at home.

I tried to install Proxmox 5.2 but i always get stuck with the following errors (see screenshot):

"modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'kvm_amd': Operation not supported"
etc..

Is this maybe caused by a compatibility problem of the amd cpu?

View attachment 7827

My guess - enabling the virtualization in BIOS/UEFI (I have the same CPU at home and it works (but I had to look twice for the Virtualization option in the bios))

Hi, I made the mistake and used rufus to create the bootable usb stick.

When creating the usb-stick with etcher.io it worked fine!

In my case i made the mistake to buy a "gaming" motherboard and virtualization futures where labeled SVM Mode. I enabled and now it seams to work.

Hey, as far as i understand is vega grafics supported from kernel 4.18 ? So that would mean it is not possible with the current proxmox ve 5.2 to use an AMD Ryzen 2200G or 2400G?
Did someone get proxmox running with the integrated vega grafics on AMD Ryzen?

Hi, i've installed today a Proxmox 5.2 with a Ryzen 2400g with vega, all ok with the latest kernel 4.13.
After upgrading with the pve-no-subscription and the updated kernel 4.15.18-9 the system does not arrive at the login textual screen, no vga output and the system hang, nothing work neither ctrl+alt+del.
Only a forced shutdown work to boot with the old kernel.

Did not work for me. I've seen that proper APU support is from 4.16. So we have to wait till stuff have been backported. Is there any chance that we could get this soon?

I do have the same CPU/APU, and for me it does work with the 4.15.18-9 kernel.
However AFAIR, I did blacklist the amdgpu module (since I don't have a graphical UI on the box).

PVE 5.x will still use the 4.15 kernel for the foreseeable future, but relevant bugfixes get ported back (by Ubuntu or us).

even when blacklisted amdgpu did it not work for me. System dies with kernel oops righter after boot with

latest pve and following hardware:

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 23
model : 17
model name : AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
stepping : 0
microcode : 0x810100b
cpu MHz : 3600.000

old 4.13.13-2-pve works flawlessly.

Ideas?

@sigmarb: Try to upgrade to the latest available BIOS/UEFI version of your mainboard (and install the amd64-microcode package from non-free)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!