can't install 4.4 from USB

How did you create your USB Stick?

And make sure you select the USB boot on your mainboard.

Reactions: niuk
@niuk: I had problems with that too. Try different USB Sticks and different methods to write the ISO to the USB stick.
If all else fails burn a CD or an external HDD wich emulates a ODD drive - I took the last route because I regulary need this and would not trade it in again :)

Regards,
Jonas

Thnx I tried two USB sticks with dd like command
dd if=proxmox-ve_*.iso of=/dev/XYZ bs=1M
I will try with external HDD..

I repeated process on the very same USB but formatted on Linux , not exactly sure why , but I was able to boot and install pve from USB

I repeated process on the very same USB but formatted on Linux , not exactly sure why , but I was able to boot and install pve from USB
Hi,
"formatted on Linux" makes no sense, because you overwrite any formatting with dd!

Do you use the same USB-port on the server? Perhaps the bios don't support all ports for booting?!

Udo

I mean re-formatted on Linux under Disk Utility and then I did the 'dd' part from terminal

I mean re-formatted on Linux under Disk Utility and then I did the 'dd' part from terminal

Hello. I would like to install Proxmox 4.4 from USB. I use Linux Mint 18.1 and i formatted the pendrive to fat32 and i used dd, but i have got still the grub rescue shell......

Hello. I would like to install Proxmox 4.4 from USB. I use Linux Mint 18.1 and i formatted the pendrive to fat32 and i used dd, but i have got still the grub rescue shell......
Hi,
do you sync after dd and write long enough before disconnected the usb-stick? (the sync must be finished)

And again - it's helpless to format the usb-stick before write an iso with dd onto the disk. the dd overwrite an excisting format!

Udo

So the correct command would be this ? : dd if=proxmox-ve_*.iso of=/dev/XYZ bs=1M conv=sync

I did this, the process is only 2 seconds, but the problem is the same.
Maybe there is something wrong in my BIOS setup.

Last edited:
So the correct command would be this ? : dd if=proxmox-ve_*.iso of=/dev/XYZ bs=1M conv=sync

I did this, the process is only 2 seconds, but the problem is the same.
Maybe there is something wrong in my BIOS setup.
Hi,
2 sec. are much to less. Has your downloaded iso the right size?
you can use this methods:
Code:
dd if=proxmox-ve_*.iso of=/dev/XYZ bs=1M; sync

dd if=proxmox-ve_*.iso of=/dev/XYZ bs=1M conv=fdatasync
An cheap USB-Stick write app. 5MB/s - so the dd takes round 100 second:
Code:
ls -l Downloads/proxmox-ve_4.4-eb2d6f1e-2.iso | awk '{print $5/(1024^2*5)}'
Udo

I tried the both way, and 2 pendrives, the process was around 1 minute. Problem is the same.
I got the same 104.359 result, so the iso should be ok.

I tried the both way, and 2 pendrives, the process was around 1 minute. Problem is the same.
I got the same 104.359 result, so the iso should be ok.
Hi,
the same size of the iso don't say, that the iso is correct - for this you should compare the hash.
Code:
md5sum Downloads/proxmox-ve_4.4-eb2d6f1e-2.iso
e453b3e1038d8b95f4a6d12cb233c389  Downloads/proxmox-ve_4.4-eb2d6f1e-2.iso
compare with https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads/item/proxmox-ve-4-4-iso-installer

But perhaps you must change something in your bios to boot from the USB-Stick - like bios/efi-boot, boot order, type of usb-handling?

Udo

I tried several combination in the BIOS. Impossible to install from USB.
Just the cursor blinking or i get normal.mod not found message.

What kind of hardware do you have? I had problems with older servers and in general older motherboards using usb boot. In those cases, I use a usb dvd drive and a dvdrw disk to avoid hours of fruitless struggle. This method always worked.

In any case, double-check you're not booting off anything but the usb drive.

Reactions: GadgetPig
I have got a PC with Gigabyte motherboard, 8 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD. The processor is an Intel Pentium dual core.
I built a new PC with Intel core i7 and with 16 GB RAM, and i would like to use this older PC for test and learning purposes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!