Cant create containers

adamjseed

Feb 13, 2012
Hi all,

I am having a bit of an issue with a fairly new install of proxmox 2.2. I cant seem to create any containers, when I go though the web ui wizard i get the error:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]Creating container private area (/var/lib/vz/template/cache/ubuntu-12.04-x86_64.tar.gz)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]tar: Skipping to next header[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]cat: write error: Broken pipe[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]vps-create ERROR: Unpack /var/lib/vz/template/cache/ubuntu-12.04-x86_64.tar.gz failed[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]Creation of container private area failed[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]TASK ERROR: command 'vzctl --skiplock create 301 --ostemplate /var/lib/vz/template/cache/ubuntu-12.04-x86_64.tar.gz --private /mnt/vm/private/301' failed: exit code 48[/FONT][/COLOR]

I did have some errors on the FS which have now been fixed and I looked into this a few days ago and came across quota which may be the cause but im at a loss on how to debug the issue, never mind fix it.

I have check spaces and there is plenty of room on my /var/lib/vz and the area where i put the containers /mnt/vm

any suggests are welcomed.

Hi all,

I am having a bit of an issue with a fairly new install of proxmox 2.2. I cant seem to create any containers, when I go though the web ui wizard i get the error:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]Creating container private area (/var/lib/vz/template/cache/ubuntu-12.04-x86_64.tar.gz)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]tar: Skipping to next header[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]cat: write error: Broken pipe[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]vps-create ERROR: Unpack /var/lib/vz/template/cache/ubuntu-12.04-x86_64.tar.gz failed[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]Creation of container private area failed[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]TASK ERROR: command 'vzctl --skiplock create 301 --ostemplate /var/lib/vz/template/cache/ubuntu-12.04-x86_64.tar.gz --private /mnt/vm/private/301' failed: exit code 48[/FONT][/COLOR]

I did have some errors on the FS which have now been fixed and I looked into this a few days ago and came across quota which may be the cause but im at a loss on how to debug the issue, never mind fix it.

I have check spaces and there is plenty of room on my /var/lib/vz and the area where i put the containers /mnt/vm

any suggests are welcomed.
Hi,
you wrote you have filesystem errors - is the template damaged? Have you tried another template?

Udo

Hi,

No im 99% sure the templates are fine, I have a few and have tried all of them. The filesystem errors have now been resolved by fdisk.

Have you re-downloaded the templates to make sure that using fdisk didn't make a mess of them, if they are stored on the same disk?

Jac2703, you are a genius, It must of broken them... very strange as everything else looks to be ok.

Redownload the images and they are working.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!