Can't connect to Proxmox configuration after successful install

Alex W

Dec 31, 2017
Hi everyone,

After a seemingly successful Proxmox 5.1 install on my Dell PowerEdge SC 1435 2x Quad Core AMD Opteron cpus, 16 gb of ram, 2 GB NICs. I'm having trouble to connect to the configuration panel at https://10.0.1.80:8006.

While doing the Proxmox installation off of a USB I noticed the following info about my network interfaces. I am not sure what it means:
FullSizeRender 4.jpg

Also after the seemingly succesful install there is some info dumped spontaneously into the local CLI, it is dumped periodically without any user input:
FullSizeRender 5.jpg

This is the content of my /etc/network/interfaces file: (they seem correct to me)
FullSizeRender 6.jpg

Pinging the gateway at 10.0.1.1 from the server returns: destination host unreachable

Could it be compatibility issues due to the old server I'm trying to run this on?
I have however found a thread on someone having trouble with the install of Proxmox 4.4 however his issues were unrelated and resolved. This leads me to think it should be possible to install Proxmox on this piece of hardware.
The thread mentioned:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/install-on-dell-sc-1435.32353/

After fiddling around with the network some more, sadly without any success, I gave up and tried to install PVE 4.4 on the machine to check if I encounter any difficulties there. However everything seems to be fine on 4.4.

This leads me to think that my previous problems are due to some incompatibility between PVE 5.1 and the NICs of the PowerEdge SC1435. I do not however state this incompatibility because of my lack of understanding the above mentioned error messages I was getting on 5.1 on this machine.

Maybe some of you can confirm or fill me in on that.

For now I will stick to PVE 4.4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!