[SOLVED] Can't blacklist mpt2sas module?

mattlach

Mar 23, 2016
Boston, MA
Hey all,

So, as part of my setup I am passing through my two LSI 9211-8i controllers to a VM that handles my storage.

The passthrough seems to work just fine, and the controllers are recognized in the VM and appear to work normally, but I found it a bit disconcerting that the Proxmox host is trying to scan and mount my ZFS pool that's connected to the LSI controllers on boot.

So, I decided, I had better blacklist the mpt2sas module, so that Proxmox never loads it, and this doesnt interfere with the drives on these controllers.

Typically on Debian based systems you just add a blacklist entry to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

There wasn't one already there (only fbdev-blacklist.conf and pve-blacklist.conf) so I created a blacklist.conf in this folder, added my "blacklist mpt2sas" line to it, saved and rebooted. When the system booted back up, it again probed all the drives on the LSI controllers and attempted to import my ZFS pool.

Once booted "lsmod |grep mpt2sas" confirmed the module was indeed loaded...

Hmm, I thought, it must not be reading my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file. Maybe it only reads the two files that are there by default?

So I deleted my recently created blacklist.conf file, edited pve-blacklist.conf and manually added a "blacklist mpt2sas" to the end of it. I was a little uncomfortable doing this, as I figured these files might be updated automatically by the system, and I might lose my blacklist, but I did it to test anyway.

I rebooted, and once again, the drives attached to my LSI controllers were scanned on boot, and Proxmox tried to import my pool.

So what's going on here? Am I doing this wrong? What is the proper way to blacklist modules in Proxmox? Is module blacklisting broken? Or maybe this one module is particularly persistent somehow?

I'd appreciate any assistance with this.

Meanwhile, I'm assuming that once the VM which the LSI controllers are forwarded to is loaded, the host can no longer see them, correct? Or do I have to worry about the host stepping in and somehow corrupting my pool once attached to the guest?

Much obliged,
Matt

So what's going on here? Am I doing this wrong? What is the proper way to blacklist modules in Proxmox? Is module blacklisting broken? Or maybe this one module is particularly persistent somehow?

Maybe you forgot to update your initramfs, try

# update-initramfs -k all -u

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!