Can't backup to cifs mounted at cluster level

danielo515

Nov 20, 2020
Hello.
I just added a CIFS mount to my little proxmox cluster. I was using it for backups when I only had one node and it worked.
But now that I have mounted it at a cluster level I am not able to backup to it. I get a permission error. However I am able to see the contents on the web interface, and if I ssh into any node I can write to the share if I use the root user. I see the mount is being added with user ID 0, that's probably why only root can write to it.
I'm using an specific user created on my NAS just for that for samba share. This user does not exist on my cluster, but that should not be a problem, right?
Is this a bug on the web ui or proxmox?

Last edited:
Ok, this is weird.
I just created a directory inside the mounted CIFS and I was able to backup to that subdirectory. I don't understand why this works and backing up directly to the mounted CIFS share does not.
I will really appreciate any explanation.

Hello.
This is still a problem for me. I don't know why I can write to a subfolder on the CIFS share mounted as a folder, but I can't write to the root to backup. This is the configuration of both on /etc/pve/storage.cfg

Bash:
cifs: Backup
    path /mnt/pve/Backup
    server nas.home
    share Backup_Proxmox
    content backup
    maxfiles 2
    smbversion 3.0
    username backup-user

dir: BackupsDir
    path /mnt/pve/Backup/Proxmox
    content backup
    maxfiles 5
    shared 1

And this is how it looks like on mount command:

Bash:
//nas.home/Backup_Proxmox on /mnt/pve/Backup type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=3.0,cache=strict,username=backup-user,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.0.107,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=4194304,wsize=4194304,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)

It was configured using the GUI

Last edited:
Nobody has an idea of why this could be happening?
I feel very nervous not being able to manage the old snapshots from proxmox. All I can do is make new ones on the directory that is mounted on the same samba mount that I don't have access to

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!