Can't access my proxmox anymore

JackHolmes

Jun 19, 2017
Hi guys.
I added a new user to the system , where he can log fine (limited access ofcourse).
But after I did that , I lost access to my root account. The password that worked fine before now don't work.
SSH also does not work. What do I do?
Virtual Environment 4.4-13/7ea56165

Last edited:
Hands on recovery it is then. Boot to bash, reset the password.
If you don't have local access you could try chrooting into the install.
And after you regained access, double check the access you gave to that user.

Hands on recovery it is then. Boot to bash, reset the password.
If you don't have local access you could try chrooting into the install.
And after you regained access, double check the access you gave to that user.
I don't have local access , could you explain a bit more how do I chroot into the install?

You have some sort of management environment from your hoster, I presume. The same interface where you installed the proxmox image from. You load a live image of any Linux distro and use the
Code:
chroot
command to switch into the installed proxmox.
Code:
man chroot
explains how the command works. When chrooted into the install you can work as if you were logged in directly. So passwd will affect proxmox' root user.
While you're there, find out what happened. /var/log/auth.log might contain some hints.
If chroot doesn't work you may have to restore the machine to default. I hope you have a backup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!