Can't Access Drives on HBA

Jacob

Dec 17, 2017
Had a working setup of SNAPRAID on an older machine. The drives where attached to an LSI2008 card flashed to IT mode. I moved the all the drives and the HBA to a newer machine that had a clean install of Proxmox already on it.

Issue is now Proxmox will not see the drives at all. I am able to view the drives in Gparted, the bios, when booting from the Old harddrive in the newer computer. All except when I use the already setup Proxmox install.

Assumption is that since I didn't have the HBA installed at installation, something is missing that interfaces through the card to gather and eventually mount the disks. What this is? I don't know. My last resort is to start from scratch with the HBA installed in the system. Downside is that I would loose all the work I've done to get the GPU passthrough and the Windows 10/Ubuntu VM's up and running.

Is there a way forward that doesn't require me starting from scratch just to get access to this data and restore all of my containers?

Edit: I found out one reason this may be happening. Since I am passing through the GPU with vfio, the HBA card is getting loaded with the vfio-pci driver. Not using the required driver to make it visible to the system. Verified this with lspci -v. Is there anyway to change this and have it load it's correct driver to be used in the system?

Edit 2: Turns out it's due to no ACS support for my I7-4790k. I'll have to look into patching the kernel to allow ACS support to break apart the GPU and the HBA from the same IOMMU group.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!