Cannot shut down Proxmox-Box when Wake on LAN/Wake on PCI is enabled in UEFI/BIOS

silverado

Renowned Member
Apr 23, 2012
I have built a home server based on an Intel Celeron Dual Core and an ASRock Mainboard H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX. Instead of the Onboard NIC I use an Intel PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Card. In BIOS/UEFI I activated the option "Wake on PCI" so that I can use Wake on Lan (WOL).

After a fresh install of Debian Squeeze 64 Bit everything works perfectly. I can wake up the server with a WOL magic packet and can shut down the server without any problems.

But after installing Proxmox the server shows a strange behaviour: The machine powers down normally, but after a few seconds it wakes up again. It does not matter what method I use to shut down ("shutdown -h now" on command line or Shutdown-button in Proxmox web interface) - a few seconds after all the lights went off and the harddisks and coolers stopped the machine powers up again.

The only method to prevent this is to disable the Wake in PCI feature in UEFI/BIOS. But now I cannot use Wake on LAN any more.

Any ideas what is going wrong and what I can do to solve the issue?

Re: Cannot shut down Proxmox-Box when Wake on LAN/Wake on PCI is enabled in UEFI/BIO

Why would anybody use WOL on Proxmox? To me it is sort of a contradiction.

Re: Cannot shut down Proxmox-Box when Wake on LAN/Wake on PCI is enabled in UEFI/BIO

Why would anybody use WOL on Proxmox? To me it is sort of a contradiction.
This Proxmox machine is not intended to run all the time. I use it for testing and backup puposes in my home network. Of course I could walk downstairs to my computer room and power up the server manually when I need it, but WOL would make the handling much more comfortable for me.

is the onboard card in use? i woul assume that the WOL would only work with the onboard card and not the PCI add in unless you have a WOL cable connected?

is the onboard card in use? i woul assume that the WOL would only work with the onboard card and not the PCI add in unless you have a WOL cable connected?

As I already mentioned I do NOT use the onboard card but an Intel PCI-Express gigabit ethernet card. WOL cables are "out of fashion" for quite a while. As long as you do not use a very old motherboard you will not need a WOL cable any more (and you will not find any connectors for such a cable). Wake on LAN works simply through the PCI (express) slots. And it also works perfectly on my machine - as long as I do not install Proxmox.

As far as I know you can define on what kind of incoming data the network card should wake up the PC. Normally only a "Magic Packet" will do the job but you can also setup the network card in a way that any incoming network communication will wake up the PC. I suspect that this causes the strange behaviour of my PC. I already used ethtool to check how my network card is set up to handle possible WOL-events.

[...]
Supports Wake-on: pumbag
Wake-on: g
[...]

As far as I understand this "g" means that only magic packets will trigger wake on lan. Maybe there is a bug and Proxmox changes this setting when the system powers down?

Is there any reason why you are not using the onboard NIC? i'm guessing that there could be a conflict there too - i just looked up the spec of your motherboard and the onboard card is an Atheros AR8151 10/100/1000 NIC.

Is there any reason why you are not using the onboard NIC? i'm guessing that there could be a conflict there too - i just looked up the spec of your motherboard and the onboard card is an Atheros AR8151 10/100/1000 NIC.
As far as I remember the onboard NIC was not recognized/working out of the box, at least not with some life systems I frequently use on this test machine. In addition to that I made the general experience that Intel cards offer the best compatibility, performance and stability in almost any constellation. So I use them whenever I can. Until now I never had any problems with Intel cards. But I think I will follow your advice and I will try the onboard card just to see if this would really solve my problem. Thanks for your help.

But I think I will follow your advice and I will try the onboard card just to see if this would really solve my problem. Thanks for your help.

keep us posted :) and good luck :D

As far as I remember the onboard NIC was not recognized/working out of the box, at least not with some life systems I frequently use on this test machine. In addition to that I made the general experience that Intel cards offer the best compatibility, performance and stability in almost any constellation. So I use them whenever I can. Until now I never had any problems with Intel cards. But I think I will follow your advice and I will try the onboard card just to see if this would really solve my problem. Thanks for your help.
The driver needed for your on-board lan is available with the latest pve-kernel: /lib/modules/2.6.32-11-pve/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/atl1e.ko

So if the nic is not auto detected a modprobe atl1e should do the trick.

See also: http://tuxthink.blogspot.com/2010/08/enabling-atheros-ethernet-controller-on.html

Latest kernel release in Ubuntu Lucid:

The driver needed for your on-board lan is available with the latest pve-kernel: /lib/modules/2.6.32-11-pve/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/atl1e.ko

So if the nic is not auto detected a modprobe atl1e should do the trick.

See also: http://tuxthink.blogspot.com/2010/08/enabling-atheros-ethernet-controller-on.html

Latest kernel release in Ubuntu Lucid:

Now i gave it a try, removed the Intel NIC and activated the onbard Atheros. It worked with Parted Magic but Debian/Proxmox did not recognize any network card (I'm using Kernel 2.6.32-11-pve, tried modprobe atl1e and also tested to add atl1e to /etc/modules - no success).

Well, I think walking up and down the stairs from time to time will be good for my health... :)

Now i gave it a try, removed the Intel NIC and activated the onbard Atheros. It worked with Parted Magic but Debian/Proxmox did not recognize any network card (I'm using Kernel 2.6.32-11-pve, tried modprobe atl1e and also tested to add atl1e to /etc/modules - no success).

Well, I think walking up and down the stairs from time to time will be good for my health... :)

Hi,
not that's a helpfull info for you - but just testet wake on lan on my new hp microserver and it's work like a charm.
The server has an "Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe"-NIC.

So I can use the server in the basement as part-time-server - the right thing for home-use!

Udo

I'm in a similar situation (tho I'm using an onboard Intel adapter), but haven't finished building my home server yet, which is also based on Proxmox, of course :)

Anyway, regarding the Atheros chip problem I suggest you check out this page here: http://abi71.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/enable-atheros-ethernet-card-ar8151-on-linux-slackware/ - this helped an AMD-based Proxmox 2.1 installation find the onboard Atheros AR8151 chip.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!