Cannot load iptables modules

kobuki

Renowned Member
Dec 30, 2008
Upgrading to the latest 1.7 Proxmox, I noticed that some modules cannot be loaded. Please see the following:
Code:
# modprobe xt_state
FATAL: Error inserting xt_state (/lib/modules/2.6.32-4-pve/kernel/net/netfilter/xt_state.ko): Invalid module format
Syslog:
Code:
Dec 21 17:48:29 virtual kernel: xt_state: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Version info:
Code:
# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.7-10 (pve-manager/1.7/5323)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.7-28
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-28
qemu-server: 1.1-25
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-9
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

Verified MD5 of installed modules with ones from the extracted package - they match. No disk errors, all files are readable.

Upgrading to the latest 1.7 Proxmox, I noticed that some modules cannot be loaded. Please see the following:
Code:
# modprobe xt_state
FATAL: Error inserting xt_state (/lib/modules/2.6.32-4-pve/kernel/net/netfilter/xt_state.ko): Invalid module format

not here, module loads.

Code:
pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.7-10 (pve-manager/1.7/5323)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.7-28
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-28
qemu-server: 1.1-25
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-9
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

Thank you for your quick answer, Tom. But stating what works for you is not going to help my problem, sorry.

Could you help with a few advices? For example, what to check, what might cause this? Should I reinstall, downgrade, upgrade, anything else? It's important for us for the modules to load, since VEs use them.

if you report an issue/bug its needed that we can reproduce it - so unless you can tell how to reproduce its more or less impossible to debug.

if it works here it shows that it seems to be a local issue on your side which is a good start. install another system and see if it works there.

or give advice how to reproduce.

Alright, let's call this a false alarm. I stopped all VEs, rebooted the host, restarted VEs and all fine. Thanks for your time.

Anyway, there's one thing I wonder about: the update didn't replace the kernel as it was already the latest 2.6.32 from the PVE repo, yet it looks like something in connection with the modules broke. I don't know the kernel internals, but my wild guess is that memory-mapped files relating to the kernel modules got off somehow.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!