Cannot install on 3 NVMe with RAIDZ-1

decibel83

Renowned Member
Oct 15, 2008
Hi.
I'm trying to install Proxmox 5.4 on RAIDZ-1 on 3 NVMe drives, but I'm receiving the error "unable to create zfs root pool".

NVMe are correctly recognised and I can configure RAIDZ-1 on them:

Screenshot 2019-05-05 at 19.44.19.png

Screenshot 2019-05-05 at 19.44.27.png

But I'm receiving the following error:

Screenshot 2019-05-05 at 19.37.51.png

Screenshot 2019-05-05 at 19.47.23.png

Could you help me please?

Hi,

no this is current, not working.
You need UEFI for a boot on an NVMe Device and Proxmox VE does not support UEFI for ZFS.

Do you have any prevision about when this will be solved?

There is no specification about raided UEFI. That was somehow missed or left out in the specification maybe due to the implementation on hardware RAID side. ZFS consists of software raid and there is simply no solution for UEFI on software raid. This is not a PVE problem per se, it's a general software raid problem. IIRC, the grub people are working on this, because they suffer from the same problem, so does syslinux and any other boot code.

The only option that works in PVE for now is to use a third party boot device, e.g. USB stick:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Booting_a_ZFS_root_file_system_via_UEFI

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!