Cannot establish SSH connection to CentOS container.

Andy Melton

Oct 18, 2016
I'm trying to figure out an SSH problem. I can establish an SSH connection from the Proxmox host to a Linux container. I can establish an SSH connection from the container to the host. I can establish an SSH connection from a Windows client to the Proxmox host. However, I cannot establish a connection from Windows client to Linux container running on Proxmox host. I can establish an SSH connection from Windows client to Proxmox host and then establish another SSH session to the Linux container. I can even use SCP to transfer files between the Proxmox host and container. I want to be able to SSH directly into the container.

I turned off the Proxmox firewall, no change. The container does not have the firewall enabled.

The container I am using is the CentOS 7 default template (centos-7-default_20160205_amd64.tar.xz). I did manually install openssh-server as well as iptables.

I edited the sshd_config file to explicitly allow root logon, but there was no change.

I copied the sshd_config file from the Proxmox host to the container. I then restarted the sshd service and was still able to connect. I restarted the container for good measure and was still able to connect as described above.

Since I can establish an SSH connection from host to container and in reverse, but not from a Windows client or my Android phone I am convinced this has to be a firewall problem, but I don't know where.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!