Cannot access Virtual Machine BIOS

gin

Mar 23, 2017
How do I access virtual machine windows 10 bios?
either boot is too fast for F2 or DEL or BIOS does not exist in VM

i have a dedicated proxmox server running opnsense however i need to disable pxe boot it takes to much time to boot the system, i have disabled it on the real bios but how do you do this in proxmox machine? thanks

I do have some sort of the same issue... I passthrough a HBA with 8 drives for my TrueNas vm runnning on Proxmox.
I did the TrueNas installation, then I passthrough the HBA card with my 8 disks attached (since it is a passthrough this controller / disk don't show up in (VM -> Options -> Boot Order) but now when I boot, the vm try to boot from the HBA disk instead of the VM os disk... any idea on how to change that permanently ? Pressing esc does not seems to work for me. the system try to boot from the hba and then detect probably the zfs data partition because I get : "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted."

If I press Esc at boot I can get the Boot device menu but I can't the Virtio-scsi Drive as default

Last edited:
I do have some sort of the same issue... I passthrough a HBA with 8 drives for my TrueNas vm runnning on Proxmox.
I did the TrueNas installation, then I passthrough the HBA card with my 8 disks attached (since it is a passthrough this controller / disk don't show up in (VM -> Options -> Boot Order) but now when I boot, the vm try to boot from the HBA disk instead of the VM os disk... any idea on how to change that permanently ? Pressing esc does not seems to work for me. the system try to boot from the hba and then detect probably the zfs data partition because I get : "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted."

If I press Esc at boot I can get the Boot device menu but I can't the Virtio-scsi Drive as default
reinstalling truenas with OVMF bios worked for me ;)

Reactions: Jake_3h
Esc at boot I can get the Boot device menu.
And.... You might want to get into the BIOS of a VM to boot from the ISO if you wanted to install from the OS and not have to recreate the VM... LnxBil :p

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!