Kujtim

Oct 29, 2017
Hi i have 2 pci-e cards (Tuner) can i use on VM this cards
Thank you

Last edited:
Need to config this on VM or on proxmox

Thank You

kind of both.

some of the settings need to be done on/to HOST (Proxmox) so HOST knows to provide the capability.
in the link provided, everything BEFORE section "Determine your PCI card address, and configure your VM " is for HOST

and most after the section is mixed. i.e. some command are needed for host to get the information and set the host, and some is to configure the VM.
nothing described in the WiKi is targeted for use inside VM. all of it is used to prepare the host and setup the VM for PCI pass-through,
anything you need to do inside VM would work as if you using a real hardware.

kind of both.

some of the settings need to be done on/to HOST (Proxmox) so HOST knows to provide the capability.
in the link provided, everything BEFORE section "Determine your PCI card address, and configure your VM " is for HOST

and most after the section is mixed. i.e. some command are needed for host to get the information and set the host, and some is to configure the VM.
nothing described in the WiKi is targeted for use inside VM. all of it is used to prepare the host and setup the VM for PCI pass-through,
anything you need to do inside VM would work as if you using a real hardware.
Can u help me if i give you acces on my server?

If by tuner you mean DVB-cards, I would rather recommend to solve it with LXC.
I also built a VDR with KVM and PCI passthrough, but this was sometimes very unstable and the tuners often got out of tune.

I found this howto (unfortunately in german, but I think the commands are self-explanatory and you can ask me if you have problems understanding it)
https://www.vdr-portal.de/forum/ind...ier-digital-devices-cine-s2-v6-5-im-containe/

Now the VDR runs stable for months like on bare-metal hardware

If by tuner you mean DVB-cards, I would rather recommend to solve it with LXC.
I also built a VDR with KVM and PCI passthrough, but this was sometimes very unstable and the tuners often got out of tune.

I found this howto (unfortunately in german but i think the commands a self-explanatory)
https://www.vdr-portal.de/forum/ind...ier-digital-devices-cine-s2-v6-5-im-containe/

Now the VDR runs stable for months like on bare-metal hardware
Im thinking to use Cesbo Astra to use dvb-tuners

Thank you

I am with neonmouse on this one. the link seams very workable, and what you do is open in chrome and click on translate. it will give you a native translation.

i read this but is not helpin me

Any luck with the pci-e (q35) configuration.. I am having the same issue and getting the error after the <VMID> is configured per the wiki for PCI (pci-e) pass through... The VM actually sees one PCI-e slot of the (dual tuner) device under hardware...

Code:
TASK ERROR: q35 machine model is not enabled at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm line 2961.

ProxMox on Debian server running Ubuntu 16.4 Server VM

I wouldn't edit the server.pm on line 2961. but... Apparently when ProxMox 5.1-35 initially installed it did not detect the machine type correctly... and I can't figure out after searching for hours to find what would seem to be an elusive yet simple answer.

Last edited:
I wouldn't edit the server.pm on line 2961. but... Apparently when ProxMox 5.1-35 initially installed it did not detect the machine type correctly... and I can't figure out after searching for hours to find what would seem to be an elusive yet simple answer.
you can only have virtual pcie devices on the q35 machine type
the i440 does not have an pcie bus

so you have to change the machine type (not on the gui)
qm set <VMID> -machine q35

Reactions: Mr.Quinn
so, I have 2 pci-e slots. One has a dual gigi Ethernet card.
One channel shows up:
VM (vm-001) PCI device (hospci0) 07:00.1,pcie=1 as set in vm100.conf
The second VM (vm101) shows Hostpci0) 07:00.1,pcie=1 for pci devices. As expected.

The Dual TV Tuner does not show up under hardware in the VM (vm100) as configured.
03:00.0,pcie=1
04:00.0,pcie=1

My question is: Does PCIE=1 designate the physical slot the device is installed in?
hostpci0: 01:00.0,pcie=1

Last edited:
My question is: Does PCIE=1 designate the physical slot the device is installed in?
hostpci0: 01:00.0,pcie=1
no the '01:00.0' is the physical slot, 'pcie=1' just uses that card as a pcie inside the vm (instead of pci)

no the '01:00.0' is the physical slot, 'pcie=1' just uses that card as a pcie inside the vm (instead of pci)

I thought that was true but the duel channel DVR card shows as 03:00.0 & 04:00.0 but the dual Gigi NIC is 07:00.0 & 07:00.1?
Yet the DVR card does not show in Hardware for VM 001 but PCI Device (hostpci0) 07:00.1,pcie=1 does?

Last edited:
can you post the vm configs (qm config <ID>) and the output of 'lspci' from the host and the vms ?

can you post the vm configs (qm config <ID>) and the output of 'lspci' from the host and the vms ?

Here are the LSPCI's & configs from the VM's and the HOST... sorry it's been a bit busy this week...

Attachments

• lspci_vm_101.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 9
  • lspci_vm_001.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 5
  • host_lspci.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 101.conf.txt
    353 bytes · Views: 5
  • 100.conf.txt
    351 bytes · Views: 9
so if you want the dvb card to show up you have to add to vm 100

Code:
hostpci1: 3:00.0,pcie=1
hostpci2: 4:00.0,pcie=1

does this work?

so if you want the dvb card to show up you have to add to vm 100

Code:
hostpci1: 3:00.0,pcie=1
hostpci2: 4:00.0,pcie=1

does this work?

No but this does... Thank you for the help!

Code:
hostpci1: 03:00.0,pcie=1
hostpci2: 04:00.0,pcie=1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!