Bridge network no internet in container

lebanaht95

Jul 23, 2019
Hi.
I am new to Proxmox. Have newest (6.0) installed on a VPS, whose provider claim that they don't restrict MAC address and recommend to use bridge mode instead of route. I want to assign each container an own IPv4 but after trying many different configurations there is still no internet in container.

What I have tried:
- blog.no-panic.at/2016/08/09/proxmox-on-debian-at-hetzner-with-multiple-ip-addresses/
- sysorchestra.com/proxmox-5-on-hetzner-root-server-with-ipv4/
- And countless other. Both route and bridge.

VPS has 5 IPv4 xxx.xxx.20.93-xxx.xxx.20.97, same subnet and 1 /64 IPv6. Default setting of Proxmox below:
Proxmox /etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface ens3 inet manual
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  xxx.xxx.20.93
        netmask  255.255.254.0
        gateway  xxx.xxx.20.1
        bridge-ports ens3
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Container /etc/network/interfaces: (nothing in /etc/network/interfaces.d)
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface lo inet6 loopback
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address xxx.xxx.20.94
        netmask 255.255.254.0
        gateway xxx.xxx.20.1

The whole weekend was spent, no hope ;(.

Last edited:
I am new to Proxmox. Have newest (6.0) installed on a VPS, whose provider claim that they don't restrict MAC address and recommend to use bridge mode instead of route. I want to assign each container an own IPv4 but after trying many different configurations there is still no internet in container.
AFAIK the mentioned - as others - provider does restrict MAC addresses (i.e. the virtual ones from containers are not accepted).

However, inspect packets sent from containers to internet via tcpdump, if they are sent to the router but not answered the provider blocks them. If they are simply to sent there is something else. Check your ip configuration in that case - note: container's interfaces have to be bridged to vmbr0 in that setup.

Reactions: lebanaht95
AFAIK the mentioned - as others - provider does restrict MAC addresses (i.e. the virtual ones from containers are not accepted).

However, inspect packets sent from containers to internet via tcpdump, if they are sent to the router but not answered the provider blocks them. If they are simply to sent there is something else. Check your ip configuration in that case - note: container's interfaces have to be bridged to vmbr0 in that setup.

The Proxmox host works now. No change was made. It just work!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!