Boot Problem with ASMedia ASM1062 Onboard Controller

Jan 9, 2012
Yesterday i changed my Mainboard of my Proxmox Server to a Supermicro X10SAE.
I want to use the ASM1061 Onboard-Controller (lspci shows ASM1062) for Proxmox System, but it does not boot:

Loading, please wait...
Volume Group "pve" not found

I use Kernel "proxmox 3.10.0-4-pve"

Last edited:
which driver is needed? please post download link from the vendor.

did you set the controller to AHCI mode?

Hi Tom,

yes, AHCI Mode is Active, but the Controller is not recognized by the Kernel.
The support of SuperMicro says that the ASM1061 would be supported in Linux Kernel 3.2
I have not found any Download Sources :(

Alex

hi,

just to note, 3.10 is much newer than 3.2 (see development history). our 3.10 kernel branch is based on the current RHEL7 kernel/sources.

so the issue seems not related to the too "old" kernel. I do not have such a board in our testlab so I cannot test this myself.

What is the newest Kernel (Enterprise) ?

proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.3-139 (running kernel: 2.6.32-34-pve)

if you want to try 3.10, I suggest you grab latest from pvetest repo,

> wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/wheezy/pvetest/binary-amd64/pve-kernel-3.10.0-7-pve_3.10.0-27_amd64.deb
> dpkg -i pve-kernel-3.10.0-7-pve_3.10.0-27_amd64.deb

Can i also directly access the repo https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian with a valid Subscription?
What ist Username/Password?

username: your key
pw: your server ID

I have a question about this. I am looking at a PCI-E controller with the ASM1061 chip (Mediasonic HP1-SS3) for an external multi-bay e-sata box with port multiplier. Its not clear if the 2.6 kernel will support this controller in this use case (non bootable). Can you give some input on this? I am guessing in the worst case I can use the 3.10 kernel as well for the functionality I want.

I'll answer my own question. Those controllers work right out of the box with the 2.6 kernel (latest) and show up as ASM1062 chips.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!