Bonding and bridge strange issue

Sep 2, 2016
Hi,
earlier we were using Bridge mode to use corp DHCP for VM's everything working fine

now as each my server has two ether net card , planned to use as load balancing balance-br or alb

now 1st problem
if I use only bonding I can't use bridge mode in GUI and have to use NAT mode for my VM's which doesn't allow me to use corp DHCP ?

2nd Problem : - so what we did is created a bond and then created a bridge using this bond ,
below is the config

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth0 eth1
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode balance-rr

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 172.16.28.12
netmask 255.255.252.0
gateway 172.16.28.1
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Now the real pain is, I am getting very frequent packet lost and network performance is very poor

upload_2016-10-24_21-8-52.png

Help require of
1) if I want to use bonding what is best way to use corp dhcp , so they can get automatically IP address
2) surprise with so much of packet drops happening , I noticed one LAN card is keep getting on and off and causing packet loss.
actually I was looking for load balancing as we have two Ethernet + also need a bridge mode.
any help greatly appreciated

Upendra

Hi Uppendra
Your network config is OK, it is perfectly fine a add a bond device to linux bridge like you dit.

We recommand the following bonding modes.
* active-passive bonding mode, which provides high availabilit, when you plug each NICH to a different switch
* 802.3ad (LACP) but you need to have a switch which supports that mode

Other modes are rather untested ( see http://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#_linux_bond for details )

Thanks for reply, However now the issues is I am not able to get the DHCP IP from my corp network, I can only able to ping host ( proxmox IP) anything specifically need to be done ?

To debug this:
* try to set an IP adress manually in your VM and see if you can ping the outside world.

If this works, this means a problem with the DHCP server, outside Proxmox.
If this does not work, reboot your host, maybe you have pending network changes.

once I changed it to Actiive- backup its worked , just trying to have load balancing to help VM's to boost network performance.
so if I have two NIC can't use them as bonding balance-rr if I need to use Bridge.
if I use only Bonding there is no way to use bridge.

any alternative we can configure in my situation ?

i have the same issue.

DHCP + Bridge + bond balance-rr doesn't work.

but with DHCP + Bridge + bond balance-tlb it works.

For my boot on San serveur, its' a problem..

Any idea?

PS: my switch doesn' support lacp ...(BUFFALO BS-MP2008)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!