Bonded NICs

GarthK

Feb 7, 2009
This is NOT specific to VE but I'll ask here anyway. My big server has two onboard NICs and, while it was running various versions of Ubuntu server, I played around with bonding them together, using either tlb or alb, both of which state that they require nothing special from the router/switch. Prob was, the box would go quiet for several minutes at a time with nothing in syslog and then it would start talking to the network again. So I quit playing with it.

I tried it again using the VE admin web page following the excellent video on how to bond two NICs but with exactly the same result.

Do I need a heftier router or is this just something to avoid?

Thanx,
Garth

This is NOT specific to VE but I'll ask here anyway. My big server has two onboard NICs and, while it was running various versions of Ubuntu server, I played around with bonding them together, using either tlb or alb, both of which state that they require nothing special from the router/switch. Prob was, the box would go quiet for several minutes at a time with nothing in syslog and then it would start talking to the network again. So I quit playing with it.

I tried it again using the VE admin web page following the excellent video on how to bond two NICs but with exactly the same result.

Do I need a heftier router or is this just something to avoid?

Thanx,
Garth

active-backup should work always - or do you have the same here?

Yes, it worked the same with every option I tried; tlb, alb, a-b, it made no difference. This is not really a big problem since I can always ignore the second nic and all works fine. I may try again if/when I replace my old 10/100 group switch with something a bit newer.

Thanx,
Garth

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!