black screen/no-signal on monitor after upgrade to PVE 7?

jaceqp

May 28, 2018
Hi there.
I performed locally a fresh installation of PM (6.4-1) on my Fujitsu x2540 M2. After that I updated (remotely) to v.7 'by-the-book' using pve6to7 check and no-subscripton repos. Everything went smoothly but what made me wonder is no signal on vga output (@ least that's what monitor says).
Monitor output dies shorty after a blue grub boot menu. It seems to go black after attempting to rescale boot console output.
At first I thought it might be screen detection/refresh rate issue since it's a 19" wide 1440x900 one. However after changing to oooold 17" 1280x1024 problem persists.
I believe I saw that issue before like couple times... Any ideas what might cause it?
Proxmox itself seem to work normally. I can access or manage it via SSH or web-gui.

BTW: That server was running PM before for months with no issues (well except for drive failures :p ).

Last edited:
The exact same thing happened to me unfortunately I needed to gain console access as I had the genius move of enabling the firewall before allowing ssh/promox web gui through. Learned a lot. Hopefully, a team much smarter than myself can create a fix for this issue. Atleast the proxmox installer is nice to look at. Thanks and please don't make the same mistake I did!

Just a quick update. After a few reboots vga output came back. I guess that makes troubleshooting even more difficult :/

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!