Bind mount, samba and containers: any risks involved?

Zamana

Renowned Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hi!

TL;DR;
Are there any risks involved in using bind mounted folders in containers and sharing these same folders through samba?

Long Version:
After using a bare metal Ubuntu for more than 6 years, I decided to use Proxmox and containers and I'm loving it. But, I realized recently that Plex is sometimes showing a weird behavior...

My storage is a ZFS pool (on the host). The folders are bind mounted in the containers, and I have one container with samba server, whose bind mounted folders are shared only to my desktop computer (a Macbook, by the way).

Sometimes Plex doesn't recognize some files (mainly subtitles files) that I copy to the movies/tv shows folders (even after correcting user/group/permissions manually), which obliges me to stop/start plexmediaserver process to get them recognized.

So... is it "safe" to use bind mount and samba simultaneously?

Is it safe/better/correct to use a container for samba? Or should I configure samba in the host?

After all, what is the "correct" to way to do this?

Thanks.
Regards.

Hi,
So... is it "safe" to use bind mount and samba simultaneously?
Yes, generally spoken.

Is it safe/better/correct to use a container for samba? Or should I configure samba in the host?
Samba needs lots of connection and so I would run the samba server on the host and run Plex as unprivileged container what is IMHO the safer way.

Reactions: Zamana

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!