The top pool is mounted to a container:
Code:
root@pve1:~# cat /etc/pve/lxc/104.conf
arch: amd64
cores: 1
hostname: vault-server
memory: 512
mp0: /vault,mp=/srv/vault
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr4095,hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx,ip=dhcp,tag=33,type=veth
net1: name=eth1,bridge=vmbr0192,hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx,ip=dhcp,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: scram1:subvol-104-disk-0,size=2G
swap: 512
lxc.apparmor.profile: lxc-container-default-with-nfsd

But when I enter the container, the contents of the the most nested datasets is not mounted:
Code:
root@pve1:~# pct enter 104

root@vault-server:/# ls -l /srv/vault/files/
total 2
drwxr-xr-x 2 150001 150001 2 Sep 26 05:57 apt-cache
-rw-r--r-- 1 150001 150001 0 Sep 26 06:11 test.file
drwxr-xr-x 2 150001 150001 2 Sep 26 05:57 webcerts

root@vault-server:/# ls -l /srv/vault/files/webcerts
total 0

root@vault-server:/# ls -l /srv/vault/files/apt-cache
total 0

The contents of the deepest datasets are not inside the container.

I have tried unmount and mount of the zpool. Destroying and recreating the datasets. Restarting the container without the mount and making sure there was nothing in the /srv directory.

Any suggestions?

@caius, I know I'm necro'ing this thread, but I keep coming across this thread as I do research into exactly the same use case, and since I figured it out, I thought others might benefit.

I got it to work using 9p mounts in a VM, still testing performance, but it's very cool, and mounting / unmounting etc all seamlessly is passed through to the vm.

Since I'm lazy, I'll just post my internal documentation notes below:

Deployment Steps
First create the VM:

Create VM and 9P Mount
Created the VM in Proxmox. Create using Proxmox GUI.
Create 9P QEMU mount
Pass the external ZFS dataset from the host into the VM using a 9P mount:
how to mount a folder passthrough to a linux KVM machine:
add to the qemu .conf file:

FROM: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/virtfs-virtio-9p-plans-to-incorporate.35315/

note:
/local-hdd/matters/ is where the folder resides on the host
/mnt/matters is where the folder appears inside the vm

add this edited line to /etc/pve/qemu-server/xxx.conf
args: -fsdev local,security_model=passthrough,id=fsdev0,path=/local-hdd/matters/ -device virtio-9p-pci,id=fs0,fsdev=fsdev0,mount_tag=9pshare,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4

Inside VM's /etc/fstab
9pshare /mnt/matters 9p trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,nobootwait,rw,_netdev 0 0
Add to /etc/fstab
9pshare /mnt/matters 9p trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,nobootwait,rw,_netdev 0 0
You might get an error at VM startup. Just change bus=pci.0,addr=0x4 address. If you get low speed onthe mount, investigate the following:
add to fstab args
msize=262144,posixacl,cache=loose

Reactions: quadcube
I used a TKL File Server ISO to build the VM, which works beautifully.
Host can manage snapshots, zfs mounts, replication etc, while an unprivileged VM can be connected to isolated VLANs for secure file sharing and joined to a domain without touching the hypervisor.
Permissions seem to be mapped through by the passthrough flag, so it's all quite seamless. Just got it working, so I will probably report back once I've been using it for a while, but since I've been working on this for a while now, I'm a bit giddy that it's finally as I had planned all along.

Update: I've since replaced my Fileserver VMs with containers, which generally have a much happier time with mounting nested datasets.

the VM<->9P mount performance I was getting just didn't meet my needs, unfortunately.
The guide referenced by Ricardo worked really well here is the LXC configuration I used:

Code:
cores: 2
features: mount=nfs,nesting=1
hostname: <REDACTED>
memory: 4096
mp0: local-vmdata:subvol-123-disk-1,mp=/storage/nvme,size=3000G
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1,gw=<REDACTED>,hwaddr=<REDACTED>,ip=<REDACTED>,tag=100,type=veth
ostype: ubuntu
protection: 1
rootfs: local-vmdata:subvol-123-disk-0,size=50G
snaptime: 1610639375
swap: 1024
lxc.mount.entry: /matters/ storage/matters none rbind,create=dir,optional 0 0
lxc.mount.entry: /local-hdd-backup/backup/Tools/ storage/tools none rbind,create=dir,optional 0 0

The magic is in the lxc.mount.entry lines. note that there are *many* nested datasets within the 'storage/matters' dataset, and this passes them through to the container nicely.
I think I got this working for an unprivileged container, but since I'm using an NFS server here I had to use a privileged container.

@quadcube you might want to check this out, if you were investigating 9P mounts.

Reactions: stuckj
Update: I've since replaced my Fileserver VMs with containers, which generally have a much happier time with mounting nested datasets.

the VM<->9P mount performance I was getting just didn't meet my needs, unfortunately.
The guide referenced by Ricardo worked really well here is the LXC configuration I used:

Code:
cores: 2
features: mount=nfs,nesting=1
hostname: <REDACTED>
memory: 4096
mp0: local-vmdata:subvol-123-disk-1,mp=/storage/nvme,size=3000G
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1,gw=<REDACTED>,hwaddr=<REDACTED>,ip=<REDACTED>,tag=100,type=veth
ostype: ubuntu
protection: 1
rootfs: local-vmdata:subvol-123-disk-0,size=50G
snaptime: 1610639375
swap: 1024
lxc.mount.entry: /matters/ storage/matters none rbind,create=dir,optional 0 0
lxc.mount.entry: /local-hdd-backup/backup/Tools/ storage/tools none rbind,create=dir,optional 0 0

The magic is in the lxc.mount.entry lines. note that there are *many* nested datasets within the 'storage/matters' dataset, and this passes them through to the container nicely.
I think I got this working for an unprivileged container, but since I'm using an NFS server here I had to use a privileged container.

@quadcube you might want to check this out, if you were investigating 9P mounts.
I can verify that this also works on unprivileged containers. You will have to map IDs the same way you would need to for a mount using proxmox's mp# syntax though.

E.g.,
Code:
lxc.idmap: u 0 100000 65535
lxc.idmap: g 0 100000 65535

See the lxc man pages here: https://linuxcontainers.org/lxc/manpages/man5/lxc.container.conf.5.html for more info on lxc.idmap. Or, search the proxmox forums...there are several topics about using lxc.idmap.

Last edited:
Reactions: grepler

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!