best way to backup whole node "system" partitions (boot and lvm)?

m.ardito

Feb 17, 2010
Torino, Italy
HI,

I would like to be able to restore a pve node exactly how it is now, taking a full backup (boot and lvm partitions), to an external nas space.
I would prefer a simple way, like booting from sysresccd or another live cd.
I know a few methods (partimage, fsarchiver, dd..) that are easy to use, but I am in doubt for the LVM partition, never used those tools on such partition type.

[edit]
I just saw that booting with sysrescd fsarchiver probe finds dm-0, dm-1 and dm-2, which are root/data/swap pve partitions.

I could probably backup those dm-x "partitions", but if I need to rebuild the node, how should I proceed?
Is there anything documented?
[/edit]

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Marco

Last edited:
? afaik, pve backup works for vm/ct only, not for itself (the hypervisor node)...
but maybe I am missing something...? that could well be, I was so tired today :D

Marco

Hi Marco,
sorry, looks that I'm also too tired yesterday. I haven't read correctly and assume, you mean VMs with lvm and not the whole node...

If you save the disks with dd you have an big overhead (depends on free space in the VG) but you need no special tools...

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!