Best Practice for NUMA?

e100

Renowned Member
Nov 6, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
ulbuilder.wordpress.com
I have a few dual socket servers and want to know how best to configure VMs.

Should VMs always have NUMA enabled and have CPU sockets set to the number of physical sockets?

Some VMs only need a single socket and single core, these should have NUMA enabled too?

Some VMs only need two cores, is it better to use two sockets and one core vs once socket and two cores?

As far as I know, virtualized cores 1x2 or 2x1 processor does not matter, as long as they do not have more cores than the physical cpu and numa enabled.

The NUMA checkbox in Proxmox will result in better performance due to local memory placement in multiprocessor systems

Here is an article that tried to explain what happens:
http://www.admin-magazine.com/Archive/2014/20/Best-practices-for-KVM-on-NUMA-servers

Also you will get information in the forum itself:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/numa-config-option.21313/

I have a few dual socket servers and want to know how best to configure VMs.

Should VMs always have NUMA enabled and have CPU sockets set to the number of physical sockets?

Some VMs only need a single socket and single core, these should have NUMA enabled too?

Some VMs only need two cores, is it better to use two sockets and one core vs once socket and two cores?

I think it's depend of how much memory how you have in your vms.

For example, you have a 128GB server, with 2 sockets x 4cores. (so 2 numa nodes with 64GB).

If the vm have < 64GB ram and <=4cores, you can use 1socket for your vm. like this all cores will try to go to same numa node, and will have better access memory access.

Of course, if you have a lot of vms, maybe you can simply always use 2 sockets in your guests, and split the cores across the numa nodes

for vm with 1socket/1core, enabling numa can avoid the single qemu process to switch between physical numa nodes, so yes, it's helping too.

You can use the command "numastat" on host, to see numa_hit ratio.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!